Chapter 17: The Voice

Beginne am Anfang

"Oh please dear I insist on you staying for dinner, I'm sure we would all love the extra company. Unless you have to get home-" Marley shook her head enthusiastically as she stole a glance at a bored looking Beca that was too busy trying to look for a certain red head to notice her blatant stare. "I would love too! I did have to go to the library to do research on a project I'm working on, but it can always wait for tomorrow." Sharon smiled widely as she squealed in excitement. "Oh goodie! I could always use help in the kitchen. Beca darling, could you please tell your father that he needs to bring in the chopped wood already. It's getting chilly in here too much for my liking." Beca nodded with relief as Marley frowned a bit, she was hoping she could spend quality time with Beca outside of their tutoring sessions. Beca quickly sped out of the house as she ran to the back yard, spotting Carson putting chopped wood in a wheel barrel a few feet away from the house. "Is your mother already asking for the wood? I swear that woman doesn't know the meaning of the word patience. Care to help me bring these in Becs?" Beca nodded as she chuckled at Carson's words, picking up the remaining wood that was on the cold ground into her own hands. "So how was the tutoring today? Marley seems like she knows her way around the books." Beca huffed as she walked along side of Carson towards the back entrance. "It's going okay, I know most of it anyway." Carson smiled at her proudly as he slowly put the wheel barrel down on the ground to look at his adoptive daughter. "Well that's always promising, you're gonna ace those tests if you weren't even studying anyways. You're a smart cookie kiddo." Beca smiled at him gratefully as Carson wiped the sweat off of his forehead. "So I wouldn't be asking this if your mother wasn't talking my ear off about it but, what do you think of Marley?" Beca scrunched her eyebrows together in confusion as she set the remaining wood on top of the pile on the wheel barrel. "What do you mean?" Carson licked his lips as he rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment. "Well your mother was telling me how you two would be a cute couple. She wanted me to ask you if you thought of her in that way." Beca's eyes widened as she looked at him like he was crazy. "Hey now, don't look at me like that. I'm only the messenger here. I'm not saying I agree with your mother, but you two would be cute together." Beca groaned in agony as Carson laughed loudly. "Oh come on now Becs, she can't be that terrible. I'll just tell your mother it's a no go, gosh her spirit is gonna be broken tonight." Beca chuckled at Carson's antics as she helped him bring some wood inside for the fireplace. "Thank goodness! I was afraid I was going to get frostbite, it's getting so cold in here." Carson chuckled at his wife as he started to light the fire with Beca's assistance. "Dinner is almost ready you two! Beca one more favor, could you go tell Miss Beale dinner is almost ready?" Now this made Beca perk her head up in interest as she immediately ran her way towards the long stairs without hesitation. Beca could swear this house was a maze, but it was like she knew her way to Chloe's room by heart. Even though it was all the way across from her own room. Beca quickly tapped on the door with her knuckles making the door swing open on the third knock. "Oh Beca! You scared me half to death and right when I'm getting to the good part." Chloe said with a smile as she put her book down on the desk right by her bedroom door. Beca smiled at her apologetically as she eyed around Chloe's room subtlety. "Sorry, um dinners ready, if you're uh-hungry?" Chloe bit her lip at Beca adorably trying to piece words together while talking to her. "Well thank you for telling me I am quite famished. It also seems like that tutor of yours needs to teach you better English." Chloe told Beca with a playful wink as Beca huffed in amusement as they both headed downstairs together. Dinner time took longer than expected since Sharon couldn't stop gushing over Marley and her cooking skills. Thankfully it was over by five thirty, Beca was getting quite tired of pretending to listen anyways. "Beca could you walk Marley out to her car? It's quite late." Beca made a face as Sharon put her hand on her hip when Beca made no move towards the front door. "Unless you want to help me clean these dishes then by all means-" and with that Beca was running after Marley opening the front door for her, making Carson laugh behind them. Once they were outside Beca put her hands in her pockets in boredom as she walked Marley slowly to her mini van. "Your mother is a lovely cook Beca, I hope to someday be as good as her." Beca hummed in agreement as they finally reached her car. Beca smiled at her tight lipped as she tried to turn around, but was caught by the elbow by Marley herself. "Wait! Um-I'm sorry I, I know I'm your tutor and all but I wanted to ask you something." Beca sighed as she turned back around to face a blushing Marley. "I-I was wondering if you wanted to go to a football game with me tomorrow night. Yale is facing Ohio state and it would be cool for us to bond a little. I know you don't always enjoy studying, but maybe if we got to know each other a little better it could be more bearable. What do you say?" Beca would have said no right away, but she hasn't been out of this house since she got out a couple of weeks ago. I guess Carson and Sharon are a little apprehensive since she is the way she is, but maybe if it's with Marley they couldn't say no. "Sure..." Marley squeaked with excitement as she suddenly hugged Beca tightly, making her grunt. "Oh sorry, forgot you're not a hugger. Okay! I'll see you tomorrow night, don't forget to bring a jacket." Beca sighed with a nod as Marley finally got into her car and drove away, making Beca let out a breath of relief. "Tomorrow night? I don't know Becs-" Sharon smacked her husband lightly as he looked at her confusedly. "Of course you two can go! This is so exciting!" Carson huffed as he rubbed his shoulder lightly with a frown on his face. "Just make sure you come home straight afterwards kiddo." Beca nodded as she told them all goodnight and headed upstairs.

'You should kill yourself, everyone knows you're a piece of shit anyways Mitchell. That's why your real dad is dead and your mom, they couldn't fucking stand the site of you-what are you doing?! No please! STOP' Beca gasped loudly as she sprang up in her bed, trying to catch her breath from the nightmare she just experienced. Every dream was different yet all the more terrifying, blood was the main factor in each one at all times. She felt herself shaking as she tried to get out of her bed without falling over. These dreams...could make her panic without ever failing. She looked over at the alarm clock on her nightstand, as it read it was four in the morning. Beca kept trying to do her breathing exercises like Chloe showed her, but they weren't working. She needed to calm down before she did something she would regret, so she did the only thing she could think of. Beca quickly tapped on Chloe's door as quietly as she could, trying to not pass out from the lack of oxygen she wasn't getting into her brain. "Beca? Are you okay?" Chloe wiped the sleep from her eyes as she realized Beca was having a panic attack right away. Chloe grabbed Beca's hand as she led her into the room shutting the door behind them, leading Beca towards her bed. "Okay sit down, wait right here I'm going to get you some water." Beca let out a loud whine as she grabbed Chloe's hand and pulled her towards her own body. Chloe let out a squeak of surprise as she was pulled down by a strong Beca, making her sit beside her. "No! Please I...can I-can I just h-hold you?" Chloe's eyes widened in shock as she immediately nodded wrapping her arms around Beca, as did Beca as well. As the moments passed Chloe could feel Beca's breathing become slower and slower. Beca sighed out in relief as she closed her eyes against Chloe's neck, just breathing in her scent. Chloe smiled softly as she rubbed the back of Beca's back soothingly, until she realized what time it was. "Beca it's almost five in the morning, are you okay to go back to your own room?" Beca nodded as she eventually let Chloe out of her grip. Beca gulped as she still felt helpless, looking back into Chloe's bright blue eyes. "Can you come with me? I don't want to sleep alone right now." Chloe knew that this wasn't very professional of her, but she immediately agreed and was led back to Beca's bedroom quietly. When five in the morning hit Beca was sound asleep behind Chloe's tense form. Why did she agree to sleep in her patient's room? If Carson and Sharon found them like this, she would definitely be fired without a hesitation. Chloe was stuck in her thoughts and fears as all of a sudden Beca wrapped her arm around Chloe's waist, snuggling into her back with a sigh of contentment. Chloe's body seemed to loose all of her tension as she melded into Beca's hold. Whatever this was between them, Chloe couldn't keep it professional anymore.

Author's note: hey y'all, hope you liked this long ass chapter. Thanks for the feedback and likes, Means a lot. Okay have a good night and day.