Chapter 17: The Voice

'You can't help but look at her can't you?' Beca huffed at the meaningless voice as she continued to stare at Dr. Beale. 'Just like you looked at all of the rest. You're dangerous...you're going to hurt her.' Beca frowned as she shook her head from the top floor of the large house. It's been a few weeks of them having sessions together and of course the voice was back, but she didn't want to tell Chloe. She was scared that if she did she would eventually go back to another facility. "I'm not going to hurt her, she helps me..." Beca said with a small smile as she watched Chloe read a book on her families back porch, wearing a yellow sun flower dress that made her shine brighter than anything she's ever seen before. 'Does she? Because it seems like I'm back, talking to you. When are you going to learn that no one can help you?! You're stuck with me!' Beca rolled her eyes at the voice, trying to not let the voice affect her emotions this time. "You're not real, no matter how many times you tell me you are. I trust Chloe and if she tells me you're not real than you aren't." There it was...the silence. Usually the voice would pester her until she gave into her anger, but this time it didn't. Beca released a breath of relief as she continued to stare down at Chloe from her bedroom window. These sessions they were having were apparently working. To be quite honest with herself she wasn't always as truthful as she could be with Chloe during their sessions. There was times where she did remember everything she did when she used to black out. Things like drugs, parties, meaningless sex, and when she would hurt someone for no reason. It's not like she wants to be this way, she has no control over anything she does when she's blacked out. That much is true, but the thing she really doesn't want to admit to herself is how much she's likes hurting people. It started when she was sixteen or so, some jock wanted to mess with her for some reason. I guess you could say she was a loner as a teenager, much like how she is today. Although, his scream of pain she caused him made her feel something other than emptiness. She wants to be normal, but no matter how much she tries to appear that way it just never works out in her favor. Maybe that's why she clings to Chloe so much, her innocence could make her change her way of thinking. Couldn't it? "Beca, darling! Please come down your tutor is here!" The shout from her adoptive mother made her snap out of her thoughts as she ran downstairs at her beck and call. This is her sixth or seventh time meeting with her tutor, not like she's been counting the minutes until it was over. She wasn't terrible to look at;she has brown hair and light blue eyes, but she prefers brighter. "Oh Marley you shouldn't have, these look absolutely delicious." Beca wanted to roll her eyes at this girl, she was too nice for her own good sometimes. As Beca was fully descended down the stairs, Sharon finally noticed her. "Oh Beca look what Marley's mom baked up for us all? Don't these brownies look amazing?" Beca smiled at her tight lipped as she nodded nonetheless to avoid further confrontation. Marley smiled as she looked towards Beca's dark blue eyes, her cheeks forming a blush. "Hi Beca, are you ready for our English studies?" Beca shrugged as Sharon gave her a subtle glare, which made her force a smile Marley's way. "I guess so..." Marley smiled widely as Beca led their way to their daily studying table, which was the living room table. "So we already went over context clues last week, so I was thinking we..." Marley went on as Beca was momentarily distracted as a beautiful Chloe walked through the back door. It truly was like time stopped as Chloe gave her a glance, smiling at her knowingly as she walked her way through the kitchen. "Beca? Beca, are you listening?" Beca sighed lowly as she finally gave her full attention to Marley, once Chloe was out of sight. "Yes, something about uh, words and how to write them?" Marley giggled as she dug into her backpack to pull out a fresh notebook and a number two pencil. "Something like that yes, but not entirely. Should we get started?" Beca shrugged nonchalantly as she opened the notebook and did what Marley told her too, as she always did.

"I didn't know Beca's tutor was coming today, her name is Marley correct?" Sharon nodded as she was getting herself a glass of milk for the brownies Marley kindly brung over. "Marley Rose, Carson's co-worker suggested her to him when he mentioned we were looking for a tutor for Beca. Apparently she is about to be graduating from Yale pretty soon this year, isn't that exciting?" Chloe hummed in agreement as she snuck a couple of glances at the pair that was still at the dining room table. Chloe could tell Beca wasn't over joyed by Marley's presence, hence how she kept tensing her shoulders up every time Marley would even scoot closer to her. "So she's in college? How old is she, if you don't mind me asking?" Sharon smiled as she too looked over at Beca and Marley. "She's almost twenty two, I actually knew her mother not so long ago. We grew up in the same old little town. Aren't they adorable together? I think Becs is growing quite fond of her, as am I if she doesn't stop bringing these treats over for me every time she comes to tutor Beca. I keep telling Carson they would be a cute couple, wouldn't you agree Miss Beale?" Chloe could feel her hand clench tightly around her book at the notion of Beca and Marley together. "I don't know, don't you think Marley is a little old for Beca?" Sharon scoffed lightly as she waved off Chloe's concerns. "Chloe dear she's barely twenty two, now if she was nearing her thirties then I'd be worried." Sharon said to Chloe with a playful wink as she covered the brownies back up and put them in the fridge for whenever she decided they were a good midnight snack to par take on.