Chapter 14: Who Knows

Two days earlier:

"So it's been a couple of weeks and Beca has truly opened up to me. I'm starting to get the feeling that she trusts me more than she trusted her other doctors. She actually smiles...I mean really smiles Bree. Her smile is actually pretty adorable and-" Aubrey chuckled slightly as she stopped her friend before she got ahead of herself. "Okay I get it, her smile is super adorable, so have you figured out any diagnosis for her yet?" Chloe sighed as she leaned back into her office chair. "I mean I do have one theory, but it's a long shot." Aubrey perked up in her chair as she leaned forward in interest. "Well what is it?" Chloe licked her lips nervously as she rummaged out her notes from one of her desk drawers. "Well I know she experiences from time to time losing her memory when she blacks out. Which occurs whenever she gets too stressed out about a certain situation she's currently in, and it's like something switches inside of her mind. She becomes another person entirely, which we have all come to experience in one way or another." Aubrey nodded in agreement as Chloe continued reading from her notes. "This other side of her is violent of course, which becomes a problem when she eventually switches back to her own state of mind." Aubrey tilted her head as she thought for a moment, finally seeing what Chloe was hinting at. "So you're saying she could possibly have dissociative identity disorder? I thought she was just hearing a voice?" Chloe sighed out in frustration as she shrugged her shoulders. "That's why I said it was a long shot. Beca has some of the symptoms, but it's not all of them. It's weird...it's like she has more than one disorder, which is making it really hard for me to even pin point just one. Which is why I think we should keep her here, for a couple of more months." Aubrey sighed this time as she slouched in her chair. "You know we can't Chloe, her parents made it clear that they wanted to take care of Beca in their own home when she turns eighteen. They want her to have a normal life and they will go to every length to try to help her get one. Honestly Chloe? I think we should just back off on this one. Obviously they're very well endowed in their financial estates and they can hire the best there is out there." Chloe opened her mouth to protest when Aubrey interrupted her once more. "I know, I know, you're the best there is in here as of the moment. They've been visiting her every day since then and she's becoming more and more attached to them. Chloe come on, it's been weeks and you nor me or even close to figuring out anything. What if they can help her more than we can? Isn't it worth a shot to let them try?" Chloe bit her lip worriedly as she eyed her notes warily. "You've done all you could Chlo, maybe if there was more time than I know you and me could figure this out. As of right now however, Beca is turning eighteen in two days. I'm sorry, but it's out of our hands now." Chloe sighed heavily as she eventually nodded as Aubrey gave her a soft smile and exited her office for her own group session. Chloe slammed her small notebook closed as she threw the note book back into her drawer defeatedly. Maybe Aubrey was right, Beca needed to feel like a normal young adult. Being here and feeling like she's caged just adds more to her stress. Chloe then got off of her chair and exited her office room slowly.

Present day:

"Do you have all of your things packed kiddo?" Beca nodded slowly as she picked up her backpack off of her old room and put it on her shoulders. Carson smiled at her as he ushered her out of the room. "Okay Becs, all your stuff is in the car, ready to go?" Sharon said excitingly as she reached for her husbands hand, intertwining them. Beca bit her lip nervously as she nodded, walking with them side by side to the front door entrance. "See ya later alligator!" Jimmy yelled behind them with a small wave as Beca glanced at him. Beca couldn't believe it was finally over, she's been stuck here for a year and now she's free. "So not to freak you out or anything, but we moved to a quieter location than we originally were." Sharon said as Beca nodded as they reached the car and were about to get in until they heard someone shout out behind them. "Wait!" Beca gulped as she heard Chloe scream after them, making Sharon and Carson look behind them. Chloe puffed out a breath as she eventually caught up to them. Beca turned around to feel Chloe engulf her with a tight hug. Beca scrunched her eyebrows together in confusion as Chloe pulled back to look into her eyes. "I forgot to give you a goodbye hug, be safe out there and don't do anything I wouldn't do." Chloe winked at her playfully as Beca smiled at her softly while nodding. Chloe then looked towards Carson and Sharon who had genuine smiles on their faces, watching them interact together. "Remember guys you have my number, feel free to call me whenever. Seriously day or night, I'm always on the move." Beca bit the inside of her lip as she watched Chloe smiled brightly at her parents as they said their goodbyes to her as well. "Come on kiddo, we have a long drive ahead of us." Carson said as he and Sharon got into the car. Beca opened the side door to put her backpack in as she glanced at her parents to make sure they weren't looking and quickly leaned in to peck Chloe's cheek. "Thank you...I'll miss you." Chloe blushed harshly as Beca gave her one last small smile before getting into her parents car. Chloe sighed out lowly as she watched them drive away longingly.

"Well what do you think kiddo? Is it big enough?" Beca nodded in awe as she looked around her new room

"Well what do you think kiddo? Is it big enough?" Beca nodded in awe as she looked around her new room. It was generously spaciest and she even had a new computer slash desk set up. "It's more than enough." Carson smiled widely as he pulled Sharon closer to him in pride. "Also don't worry we know you like your privacy so our room is a couple of feet over." Sharon nodded in agreement with her husband as she hugged Carson back as they both watched Beca's reaction to her new room. "We wanted you to feel like this a fresh new start for you;for all of us." As soon as Beca was done scoping out her new living spaces, she turned towards her adoptive parents. "We want you to have a life you've always deserved Beca. Anyways I will get dinner started for the three of us, my special casserole is just moments away." Sharon said in excitement as she kissed her husband's cheek goodbye and gave Beca a quick hug before she daunted out towards the kitchen downstairs. Carson sighed in contentment as he looked out Beca's large window, the overview being an abundance amount of willow oak trees. "You know I've always had my eye on this house for quite awhile and never had the motivation for buying it, until now. I've always wanted this for our family Beca and now that it's come true, it feels like I'm an in alternate reality. I know you still feel like we've abandoned you somehow, but that is the farthest from the truth. Your mother and I, we haven't stopped thinking about how you were doing in that awful place. I'm sorry we took you there, we should have inspected it a bit more, but we didn't have a lot of options at the time. I promise though everything is going to be okay now. Just you wait and see..." Beca felt tears come to her eyes as she nodded at her father. All this time she thought they gave up on her...maybe things will turn out different this time around. Who knows?

Authors note: hey sorry for the shitty updates and this short chapter. More coming soon hopefully.