17 ~ HOLD MY HAND

Start from the beginning

He stares at me for a minute with a blank expression on his face, then utters, "How about we make a deal?" 

"What kind of deal?" I frown, any deal with this boy means trouble. Even being near him means trouble.

"I will help you find those shoes you want and you can help me bake a cake." He looks at me with a hopeful expression. 

"No," I state. Help him bake a cake? Yeah, no way.

"Please," he pleads, with wide eyes.

"I said no, Don't give me those puppy dog eyes. It won't work on me." I smirk while lying my ass off. It's totally working.

"Not for me, but my mom. Think about how happy she will be when I surprise her with a cake baked by me." He entreats and I give in. 

Maybe because I'm still reeling from his shocking apology, even after three weeks. 

My heart still picks up a beat whenever I think about it and trust me I do think about it, a lot. And deep down inside, I feel bad for refusing his friendship.

"Fine, deal." I sigh dramatically.

"You're so dramatic." He speaks dryly.

"Not more than you." 

"But it's adorable." He mutters silently to himself as color rises to my cheeks. 

I quickly turn my head on the other side to hide my blush from him. I don't want him thinking that I heard him.

I clear my throat and say, "What did you say?"

"Nothing," he shrugs and shakes his head. 

I stare at him for a second and then nod my head, "So, shoes first and then cake." 

He smiles big and almost shouts, "Done!" making me smile. 

"Let's go find these shoes." He links his fingers through mine and starts dragging me behind him, but I pull him back. 

"Hey! No touching, Mr. James." I scowl and unlink our hands. I start walking ahead of him and place a hand on my stomach, like that would settle the butterflies in it and stop the goosebumps that have erupted throughout my body. 

"Um sorry, I didn't realize I took your hand in mine." He says, catching up to me and frowning while apologizing. 

I reply ignoring the butterflies, "That's okay. I was just a bit surprised." 

"No problem. Come on, let's get this over with." He speaks and starts walking as I follow him.

For the next hour, all we do is explore. We roam from store-to-store in search of the shoes. 

Turns out they are comfy and fashionable and thus they are in real demand. 

I never liked shopping at all, but he made it easier and more fun. I don't think I've laughed this much in the past four years, as much as I have in this hour. 

Sometime during our exploration, Roman took my hand in his again without even realizing it himself. Like it's natural between us and we've been doing it for years. 

I know it's just a friendly gesture on his part, but it sends heat shooting up my arm all the same. One part of me wants to pull away but that's not the part that wins. So we roam around the mall, hand-in-hand. 

I like how his big hand envelopes my small one. I like the feeling of his rough hand around mine. 

"These shoes look nice and comfy though," Roman says, as we make our way out of the mall. 

"They are." I chirp happily and swing the bag in my hand. 

"Someone would think they are Gucci instead of some other normal brand by the look on your face." He laughs. 

I just shrug, "I don't care about Gucci and all that. Never did."

"Any other girl would fawn over Gucci shoes, you know." He raises an eyebrow. 

"I'm not any other girl now, am I?" I smirk and tilt my head. 

His face loses some of his playfulness and his eyes burn brightly, "Right."

"So where are we baking the cake?" I ask. 

"My mom is at home. Can't bake there." 

"No problem. We can bake it at my house, but I don't think I have all the ingredients though."

"How about you text me all the ingredients you want and I'll swing by the supermarket, get all the ingredients and then come to your house." He suggests as we reach my car. 

"Sure." He leaves my hand to exchange numbers and I immediately feel the loss of his hand around mine.

"Cool. I'll see you in half an hour." He smiles.

 I smile back and unlock my car. 

"Hey, what about your mom?" He asks all of a sudden as his eyes widen a bit.

"She won't be back until seven. Why?" I frown. 

"Thank god. She really intimidates the fuck out of me." He says, shaking his head. 

I laugh, "She is the sweetest person on this planet." 

He gives me a sly look, "Don't mind, but after my dad and the coach, she is the scariest person I've ever met in my life." He says and I laugh out loud, not minding it even a little bit. 

Instead of replying, I just get in my car, wave at him, and speed out of the parking lot and towards my home because I can't wait to spend more time with Roman James. 

Hellooo, how are y'all? I hope you're having a good day

What do you think about this chapter? I am always up for constructive criticism, so let me know if there's something I need to work on.
Tap that star if  y'all liked this chapter ;)
Teaser ~ A birthday cake
Until the next chapter.
Happy reading
Kiara🦋