Chapter X

May 13, 2016

I had overslept which meant for the first time since this semester had started, I would be late for Bailey's class. I just hoped she would not make a huge deal out of it, after all it was sort of her fault I was late anyway—not that she was aware of it.

I have not been able to sleep properly since the little stunt Nay pulled when the elevator got stuck with the four of us inside.

I took my time on the shower, trying to get my nerves to calm down with the water, the same way I had done on Wednesday. Even though I knew it would not calm myself enough to not seem on edge all day.

I had seen my mother at campus on Wednesday, and had she been alone maybe she would have taken my edginess for startlement after literally running into her.

She was not alone though, she was accompanied by Nero and another professor who I knew close to nothing about, Professor Mace. It was Mace the one who noticed something was off. She looked deep inside my eyes and I felt like she could see right through me, which had me even more on edge.

"Are you okay, honey?" Professor Mace had a very motherly tone to her voice, it did not match at all with her intimidating features, but in some weird sort of way it got me to calm down.

"Yeah, just stressed with Family Law." She gave me an intrigued look, "Oh, I'm sorry, are you one of my students? Is there anything I can help you with?"

"No Eve, Remi, is Bailey's student. Sweetie you told me you were loving her classes, why are you so stressed about it then?" I did not know how to answer my mother.

I could not exactly tell the two women my Family Law professor was giving me a hard time because she had decided to go psycho on me. But I knew I there was no hiding it from Nero, he knew my type, and he had seen us together enough times to notice the tension between us.

Something in Professor Mace's demeanor changed as if she had suddenly realized something she was not supposed to mention.

"Ah, Bailey is a great friend of mine, so is your mother. If you are having a hard time catching up, I would be more than happy to help you out, I too teach Family Law." Professor Mace offered and I was tempted to take it, but I knew it would not do Cecilia any good if anyone found out a student of hers was having to seek out another professor to be able to learn something.

Before I could deny her proposition, she made it easier for me to say yes.

"Tell you what, we are heading for lunch now, but how about you come to my office on Friday during your break and we can sit, in private, so I can help you out. Bailey doesn't even have to know about it, I know how jealous she can get when it comes to... her students." Professor Mace had a knowing smirk playing on her lips and for a split second I was sure she knew something I did not—and I was right.

Even though I was late, this morning I had to make myself look presentable because I would be having my one-on-one session after my first period with Professor Mace.

I had put on my black Star Wars t-shirt—there was a faint death star on it with a thin red line working as a rectangle frame around the print—along with a red pencil skirt and red pump heels. I also applied some minimal makeup but made sure to add on red lipstick.

I felt like no one would be able to put me in a bad mood, because for once, I was indeed pleased with how I looked.

I walked inside the classroom just as Cecilia was about to start. The only seat available was right in front of her desk in the middle of the class and I could not help but wonder where all the entitled white men who usually killed each other for that seat had vanished to.