Chapter III

February 22, 2016

Yesterday was hard to get out of bed.

As if Mondays were not bad enough on their own, the migraine was worse than its usual and it made me feel as if my head was one of those snow globes being vigorously shaken by an evil child.

I recollect fishing for my phone on the right side of my bed-where I usually leave it-and seeing the clock on the screen read 8:20am. I knew I was going to be late, and out of all classes, I was going to be late to Professor Bailey's.

It was quite evident that I would most definitely not get dressed and drive there in under 10 minutes, it would take a little over 15 minutes just to get myself ready. Nevertheless, I prayed I would get there before she did, holding on to the fact she was not the most punctual person. But it felt like wishful thinking-luck was usually not on my side.

I did not bother taking a shower, I had had one the night before in hope it would help with the migraines, it was no use though, but at least it was one less thing to do in order to get ready.

I crawled my way to the pile of washed clothes from Saturday throwing items on my bed as I went through the stack. I came up with a more suited outfit then the one I had on my first day, I was aware I was dressing to impress, but admitting it out loud was just something I would not do, not even for Amy.

With a burgundy pencil skirt, my gray ripped t-shirt of Guns N' Roses and black pump heels-later I figured out that last bit wasn't such a great idea for someone in a drunken-like state like I was. Attempting to run to the bathroom was how I found out the heels would be a bother, but I did not have time to rethink my outfit.

I looked myself in the bathroom's mirror-after I had brushed my teeth-and decided to tuck some of the shirt inside my skirt, getting my hair in a messy bun after because I knew I would not be able to fix it properly in time.

With the bun on top of my head, my sunglasses covering my sore eyes in hope they would keep the sunlight at bay, and a little makeup applied, I left my apartment with my computer, phone, and keys in hands, locking the door behind me.

Good for me, my neighbor from 901 had just gotten back and the elevator door was opened on my floor. I walked in, pressed the button to the garage-another great reason to live in this building-and walked to the back to rest my back on the wall.

The day had barely started and yet I felt beaten. Once again, I checked the time on my phone, and it read 8:27am-that has got to be my new record.

The door opened before my stop and someone rushed in, but I did not care to look up and see who it was. No. Not that morning. I was not in the mood to socialization. Then it hit me, I had forgotten my headphones, of all days.

The drive to campus was just about 5 minutes long and I thought I would be able to get in the classroom before Professor Bailey arrived, I my throbbing mind all I could think was how awkward it would be to get in late once I knew, for a fact, she could distinguish my face out of the other forty-something students in that class.

I kept my eyes down as waited for the person in front of me to get out first before I started the run to my car-my parking spot was right in front of the elevator-and as soon as I reached the driver's door a strong wave of dizziness from the migraine hit me making me drop the keys and the phone on the floor as my hands went instinctively to my scalp.

Thankfully, I had the habit of always sitting my laptop on the hook before I went to unlock the door of my car-a grayish 2015 Jeep Wrangler-or else it would have been destroyed on the fall.

I knew driving was not an option, but a taxi would take too long, and I did not have that kind of time. I was in too much pain and waiting to find a solution to get there in time would just make me late for class.