The Alpha's Only Heir - Chapter Thirteen

A/N: Greetings everyone! Well it's the holiday season and I really wanted to put out this next chapter. I'm sorry for such a long delay in between posts, my mojo's gone and as always life decided to take a crap. But anyways onward and upward! I hope you all enjoy this chapter please message me, comment, vote- the whole big thing. Happy holidays to all!!

Also, this chapter is dedicated to @AngelsRayne who has an intriguing story called Adopted. I'm a finalist for her contest regarding the synopsis, so please read and vote.

Recap:

Once the cups were in our hands I asked Kelli to wait outside the room, she agree once Scott supplied her with his secret stash of cookies to go with her tea. Sitting back down across from me, I felt his scrutinizing gaze.

“Lily you’ve always been such an angel, what’s making you do this?” Scott’s warm brown eyes bore into mine. I took a deep drink of the now lukewarm tea in my hands. I looked out the window to my right.

“I’ve never been an angel, never wanted to be... When your father's the devil all you hope for is to survive.” I could my eyes reflecting back in the window. Pressing my head to the glass, I let the cold sooth my racing mind.

-----------

As we got ready to leave I made a call back to Joshua at the manor to see if Verity was back yet. I hated having everything depend on someone else but hopefully this would work. Scott hugged me tightly before we left the office. His tree-like stature made me feel small and I accepted all of his warmth like a newborn babe. “I’ll see you at the games little one,” he whispered in my ear, “keep yourself safe in the meantime.” before setting me back on my feet with a small smile. As we stepped outside of the meeting hall his voice became stronger.“Journey safe and I will keep an eye out on the men who’ve signed up for the challenge. I saw the nervous looks of the men around and I had to hold back a giggle. “Thank you, for everything. I can’t wait for you all to visit me.” That was the last time on my trip that I felt happy and light hearted.

If I had an inkling to how these meetings would really go I’m not sure if I would have done it. Discontent was everywhere and here I came offering myself as a prize. New families had been over-run, forced to pledge allegiance to a man who has shown them nothing but violence. There wasn’t supposed to be this many wolves outside our pack, they were supposed to become our pack naturally. It’s in our nature to want to be around our own kind. I knew I had been sheltered in the school but with my father’s eyes everywhere and Matthew to look after I never ventured too far. Evan brought up this point quietly in the car on our last day. I sighed deeply agreeing completely. “Now it seems, I am paying for that mistake.”

“We cannot control what those before us do, only do our best when the time comes.” Ebb reached out and grabbed my shoulder reassuringly. “My Pa always told me that and now I’m telling you kiddo. You can only go up from here.”

Smilingly lightly I curled up and let sleep overtake me as Evan drove us all to the final stop. My mind however, had other plans as it re-visited all our stops. It was hard for me not to get angry when so many didn’t believe me worthy, others didn’t like the rules and many I knew didn’t want to abide by them.

--------

Rule number one: The entire pack must be present when a ceremony involves the alpha’s direct family.

While I didn’t foresee the issue with this rule, apparently demanding their presence in two months made me out to be the villain. When I explained this time limit was enforce by my father, the grumbling stopped but only when I was within earshot.

Rule number two: No challenger can be denied their right to compete by anyone including the Alpha themselves as long as they have yet to mark another wolf.