A Boy

Bang! Miss Fulsom's wooden stick came down on Wendy's desk. Kayla peeks over to see what her sister has done this time, she drew a picture of the flying boy above my bed.

 Kayla peeks over to see what her sister has done this time, she drew a picture of the flying boy above my bed

"If this is your sister in bed, then what is this?"Miss Fulsom asked Wendy after class.
"A boy." Wendy replied.
Miss Fulsom dispatched a letter of outrage to Mr. Darling, that set new standards of prudery, even for her.
Wendy walked as one condemned, and then... fate.
"The letter! Wait! Stop!"
"Wendy, wait! Come back!" Kayla and her brothers yelled for her, as Nana ran after her towards the bank. They walk in just in time to see an explosion of papers and people.
"Oh no," she whispered.

"I have been humiliated!" Father fumed, "I must become a man that children fear and adults respect, or we shall all end up in the street!"
"George, not so loud."
"The neighbours will hear."
"Let them hear. Let the whole world know! This is not a nurse! This is a dog." Then he pulled off Nana's nurse hat! "Tomorrow you begin your instruction, with Aunt Millicent." Father looked at the twins, "It's time for you two to grow up!"

"Mother?" Michael asked that night.
"Yes dear?"
"Can anything harm us after the night-lights are lit?"
"No, precious. They are the eyes a mother leaves behind to guard her children."
"Mother, must you go to the party?" Kayla asked.
"Please, Mother. Yes,"
"Mother, you don't have to go."
"Father can go by himself."
"Please, Mother?"
"By himself?" She asked "Your father is a brave man. But he's going to need the special kiss to face his colleagues tonight."
"Father?" Wendy asked "Brave?" Kayla finished. And John just shook his head in disbelief.
"There are many different kinds of bravery. There's the bravery of thinking of others before oneself. Now, your father has never brandished a sword nor fired a pistol, thank heavens. But he's made many sacrifices for his family, and put away many dreams
"Where did he put them?" Micheal asked.
"He put them in a drawer." She replied, "And sometimes, late at night, we take them out and admire them. But it gets harder and harder to close the drawer. He does. And that is why he is brave."