[juu-yon]

"I'm sorry I couldn't help you, Madara." Said Uchiha turned his back on the fiery headed Uzumaki girl, clenching his fists as the realisation struck him. She was dying, and would be dead before she could even assist in his plans. Uzumaki Fumiko frowned, clutching at the bedsheets that covered her emaciated body. It wasn't like Madara to be so... full of emotion. And she found it odd.

"If it helps you, Madara... I know of another who can help you," she said in a quiet voice. Madara looked up, glaring at her with an intensity she had never seen before.

"Who could possibly help me, you fool?" he snarled, swiping an arm at her. "I need someone now- a little child won't do! I need a strong, capable host. You said you're the only one you know of, did you not?"

"There's another. I can't believe I didn't see it at first, but now it makes even more sense."

"Who?" spat Madara. Fumiko smiled.

"[Surname] [Name]."

***

"Haruka, could you show tou-san that again?"

"YES!" In a flurry of movements, Madara watched as his son executed a number of hand signs and yelled out "SHUNSHIN NO JUTSU!" He disappeared in an instant a reappeared later in a tree branch behind his father, giggling. Madara grinned. Maybe he had been wrong. Maybe a little child was what he needed, after all. Haru cheered and leapt back down to his father, eager for his praise. And duly, Madara gave it to him.

"That was great," he said soothingly, patting the top of his head. "Come on- let's go home now." Haruka pouted at Madara- there were two more days until [Name] and Izuna's wedding, and despite the fact that he was obviously talented far beyond his years in ninjutsu, Haruka was still confused as to why his mother wasn't able to spend as much time with him anymore. Or for the time being, at least.

"But why can't I stay with you and all my other cousins?" pouted Haruka. "I want to stay with you, tou-chan!" Madara grinned and picked up his son, holding him close.

"Don't worry, Haru. In a couple of days, you'll be able to see me as often as you want." Haru cheered as his father assured him of their future together, and wrapped his arms around his neck.

"I don't get why you and kaa-chan don't live together like other parents," he said softly. "Tomoko and Takeshi and Ryoko's parents stay together... why not you and kaa-chan?" Madara sighed, and placed a hand on Haruka's back.

"Don't worry, Haru. Once you're with me, we'll have the time of our life. Believe me."

"Is kaa-chan coming?" Madara bit his tongue, and smiled at his son.

"Of course." What Haruka doesn't know won't hurt him.