Valleys and Chasms

Start from the beginning

"Torin? Are you unwell?"

"Wha.." her own voice seemed to cause her pain, "What happened?" she whispered.

"Your eyes went white, and you were staring out into the sky." Estien held her snuggly in his arms, so close to him she could nearly feel his heart beating.

"I was watching Harpy soar in the wind and I decided to rest while you scouted. I thought I was sleeping." Her brow furrowed as the cool breeze shifted her light brown hair. She leaned slowly against Estien, her hand coming to her head.

"Can you walk?" Estien shifted his arms around her, resting his hands on her hips.

"I think so, my head.." She winced as she tried to stand, her right hand returning to her head. Her legs were unsteady and she felt dizzy.

"Nope." Estien quickly set her back down. "Bag." He said holding his hand out, Torin reached over and grabbed the pack, Nel still inside. Estien placed the bag on his back, adjusting the straps to fit his broad stature. He then tried to get her moving again, and once again the moment she stood her head began to pound and swirl. "Well then." Estien said as he lifted her into his arms, cradling her gently against him as if she was a cherished bride.

Torin gave no resistance in him lifting her into his arms. She settled her head against his firm chest and rested. Estien walked for another day along the pass, as he carried the small girl. His eyes would shift to her as she stirred, watching her carefully. His mind dancing with memories that she brought back so clearly. Memories of laughter and joy, of a time before he had set out. He often wondered if she had similar memories stirring within her.

Estien pulled her tighter to him as they entered the cave opening. He had paused only briefly to allow the small cat to come back to her owner. He didn't mind the company of the cat, often caught in conversation with the small feline. He was in one such conversation as he was going into the 3rd day in the cave.

"Do you think she'll wake up today, little one?" Estien looked to the small feline that was on the abdomen of the girl he carried. He listened as she purred loudly and rubbed her head along the hand of the girl.

"Ya, I hope so too." Estien responded to the small cat. His eyes scanned the fragile girl, how tiny she was in his arms. She weighed very little, so to carry her was no burden to him.

As the 3rd day was coming to a close, Estien began to look about for a safe area to set camp. His cloak bundled tightly about him and the girl in his arms, as the soft breeze in the cave had increased to near storm proportions.

Torin began to stir in the strong arms of Estien, as Nel began to purr and rub against her owner once again. The smell of evergreens filled her nostrils and the strong arms of Estien about her caused her to open her eyes slowly. The sound of trickling water not far off echoed through the open spaces of the cavern.

She stretched her neck and gave a large yawn.

"Glad you're awake." Estien spoke softly in the quiet of the cave.

"I'm sorry, you can put me down if you like." She tried to stretch again, "I can try to walk, my head feels much better."

"It should," Estien paused as he lowered her gently to the ground, holding onto her waist as she steadied herself and stretched her legs. "You've been asleep for 4 days."

"What?" She lifted her arms to the sky, ignoring the hands on her waist or her closeness to Estien. His breathing slowed as he watched her posture. Her head drifted to the side as she stretched with her arms high, giving a soft moan as the stretch felt amazing. When she opened her eyes she was met with amazing bronze globes staring back at her. She paused gazing into his eyes, waiting for him to say something or do something. Her hands came to rest against the sculpted chest of her companion, the strength he carried hidden beneath his attire.