26

Mark watched the clock like a hawk. It was one minute away from the end of sixth period and, at least, ten minutes until Donghyuck got here.

All day he had been thinking of a solution to their dilemma, even thinking about calling off the relationship altogether.

Even though that solution seemed like the smartest one, Mark just couldn't do it. He was in too deep with Donghyuck and there was no way he was going to call it quits over this little hiccup.

He finally figured out a solution that wasn't too drastic and he was just waiting to talk to Donghyuck about it.

He didn't know how Donghyuck would react to it, but he was hoping that the boy would, at least, attempt to listen before turning it down.

Mark decided that watching the clock wasn't going to make time go faster, so he got up from his chair and paced back and forth in the small office.

A tentative knock on the door stopped Mark in his tracks. He inhaled deeply, before exhaling and opening the door before Donghyuck could knock again.

"Hi Mark. You look like hell"

"Well, hello to you too. And you don't look much better. I've got to talk to you about something. Come in"

Mark was guessing his face looked grave, because Donghyuck's face paled considerably, "Are you breaking up with me?"

"What? No. What gave you that idea?"

"Well, usually when your partner says that they have to talk to you, it's either they're pregnant or they're breaking up with you. And I know there's no way you could be pregnant…Right?"

"Are you on drugs? How the fuck could I be pregnant?" Mark almost laughed outright.

Donghyuck shrugged before settling himself on the bed, while Mark sat down in his chair.

"Johnny saw us this morning"

"What?!"

"Calm down, Donghyuck. He talked to me and told me that we needed to figure something out so that we don't get caught. He could report me, but he's willing to trust me even at the risk of losing his job"

He watched as Donghyuck settled back down on the bed and took a deep breath.

"So what are we going to do?"

"I've got a solution. I don't know if you'll like it"

Donghyuck seemed to nervous again and Mark cursed the boy's overactive imagination. Sometimes it was endearing, but right now Donghyuck was just making it harder on himself.

"Okay, tell me"

"I'm going to quit working here after this school year ends. I'm going to go back to working at the hospital"

Donghyuck sighed in relief, probably preparing for the worst possible solution, "I thought it was going to be something drastic. This was really only a temporary job anyway, right?"

"Yeah, but you know what that means right? I'll have odd hours and won't be able to see you all of the time. We could go weeks without seeing each other. Are you really okay with that?"

Donghyuck's thinking face was adorable. Mark had established this a long time ago. The boy's eyebrows would furrow and his lips would pout a little.

He looked like a constipated puppy and Mark was probably the only one who thought it was cute. It helped Mark's mood, despite everything going on, but he wasn't going to let Donghyuck know that.

"Yeah. I mean, that's better than you going to jail or principal Seo losing his job. Sometimes we have to make sacrifices. Plus, we have texting, so it's not like we'll go weeks without talking. I'm okay with that, as long as that's what you want"