18

There was something off about Donghyuck today and Mark couldn't really figure out what.

Maybe it was the fact that Donghyuck was abnormally quiet and responded to any question with a few words at most. Or maybe it was the fact that the boy wasn't nearly as clingy as he usually is.

Normally, Mark felt that silence was golden and he relished in the quiet peacefulness that he and Donghyuck had established by now.

This silence was different though and it made Mark uneasy, which in turn annoyed the shit out of him.

At the moment, they were both sitting on the couch. Donghyuck was curled up on one end and Mark was stretched out with his head resting on Donghyuck's lap.

They had the Tv on, but Mark wasn't even paying attention to it. He was fighting sleep as he began to relax because of Donghyuck absently running fingers through his hair.

"Donghyuck?"

"Hm?"

"How are you feeling?"

"Yes"

Mark sat up abruptly and glared at Donghyuck, who wasn't paying a bit of attention to the absence of Mark in his lap.

Mark didn't say a word, because he knew he wouldn't be able to remain calm if he opened his mouth.

He was just going to wait until his stare either got Donghyuck's attention or caught his hair on fire. Whichever came first.

After a few minutes and a commercial break, Donghyuck finally noticed Mark's absence and looked over at him with a puzzled expression.

"Hey, what's wrong? Why are you glaring at me?"

Mark could feel his eyebrow twitch and had to breathe in deeply to calm his nerves.

"Why have you been acting so weird today, Donghyuck?"

Mark watched as Donghyuck tensed up and averted his gaze. He was about to ask Donghyuck again, but Donghyuck spoke up,

"I'm just tired"

Mark let out a quiet sigh before getting up off the couch and kneeling in front of Donghyuck.

He placed his hands on Donghyuck's knees and looked up at the boy, who was staring at him with confusion written all over his face.

"That's bullshit and you know it. You're a horrible liar. Is it something to do with me?"

Mark watched as Donghyuck's eyes widened in horror and shook his head wildly, "No, no, no. It's not you at all"

Mark gave Donghyuck's knees a gentle squeeze before taking the teen's hands into his own,

"So if it's not me, then what's bothering you? You know I'm here for you"

Donghyuck looked down at his hands as Mark held them and bit his lower lip in thought. He hadn't realized that he had been acting weird.

He was so lost in his own thoughts that it didn't register that Mark might pick up on the fact that Donghyuck wasn't his usual self.

Donghyuck knew this day was coming up and he knew how he usually acted when it got here. He just didn't remind himself that Serim and Renjun weren't the only ones in his life now.

Those two knew what tomorrow meant. They knew how Donghyuck got, but Mark didn't. Mark didn't even know about tomorrow.

Donghyuck knew this was his fault, he should have told Mark way before today. He should have, but it wasn't something he could just bring up in normal day conversation.