17

Mark twirled a lock of Donghyuck's hair between his fingers absently while the younger leaned back into his lap.

They had spent most of the day just lazing about and watching tv while they talked.

After a while, they settled into a comfortable silence and Mark was content.

"Donghyuck?"

"Hmm?"

"What do you have planned for tomorrow? It's New Year's Eve"

Mark looked down when he felt Donghyuck's head tilt back and searched those beautiful eyes that were staring up at him questioningly.

"I don't know. What do you have planned?"

Mark could hear the hesitation in Donghyuck's voice and it made him bite his lip in guilt before he responded, "Johnny and Jaehyun are coming over"

He could feel Donghyuck tense up and watched as the boy turned his head away while a soft "oh" escaped his lips.

"I'm sorry. It's a tradition. You know how much I want to spend it with you. Even if I told them not to come, Jaehyun would show up unannounced"

Donghyuck brought his arm up and Mark closed his eyes as Donghyuck's hand caressed his cheek reassuringly,

"It's okay, I understand. Plus, I think Jeno invited us to a party at his house"

Mark went back to fiddling with a lock of Donghyuck's hair and sighed quietly. He was worried that Donghyuck would get mad at him, but he realized that, once again, Donghyuck had his mature moments.

Mark knew that quiet "oh" was disappointment, but there wasn't much he could do about it.

"Can we get some food? I feel like my stomach is going to eat itself"

Mark chuckled, "We just ate"

"That was two hours ago and it was a light snack. So, let's get some food. I mean, unless I can have you for dinner?"

Mark gasped as Donghyuck grasped the back of his neck and brought Mark's lips to his own. When Donghyuck let him pull away, Mark flicked him in the nose,

"You're a little shit. Let's go get some food"

Mark watched Donghyuck rub his nose while pouting and pushed him off the couch playfully. They slipped on their shoes, grabbed their jackets, and headed out of the apartment to find some food before Mark had to drop Donghyuck off.

~

Renjun showed up around seven the next night to pick Serim and Donghyuck up. His grandfather let him borrow the car once again with the promise that Renjun wouldn't drive if it got too late. 

Donghyuck sat in the backseat and texted Mark as they headed towards Jeno's house.

Donghyuck: hey, we're heading to Jeno's place now.

Mark: Okay, be careful. Don't get in any fights

Donghyuck: I'll try, depends on that bastard. what are you doing?

Mark: Trying to remember why I have friends. I'm being subjected to greasy Mexican food and a bunch of B movies.

Donghyuck: lol sounds like fun

Mark: Loads

Donghyuck slid his phone in his pocket and looked out the window. He was jealous. He was jealous that he wasn't the one spending New Year's Eve with Mark.

Even though it was irrational, he wanted to monopolize all of Mark's time. Donghyuck knew in his head that Mark had other people in his life and he couldn't just make Mark forgo a tradition between him and his friends, just because Donghyuck was being selfish.