eight

Stupid things. He told me not to do stupid things. And here I am. Doing stupid things. Nikolas thought, putting on his football uniform, the protection that made his shoulders look broader and more defined on his skinny body. Holding the heavy helmet in his hands.

Some classes weren't the same as the ones his friends had, and despite the fact that he insisted Happy over and over again that he should talk to the school, he passed by saying that he had important things to organize. He even tried to use the excuse of his limits but it still didn't work.

"Okay class." The Coach said after blowing her whistle. "We'll do some tryouts, as you know a tournament is coming up and we want Midtown to qualify this year, Right? As I was sayin; Nikolas here will be the runner who will lead the starter and...." She turned her pages over searching. "Jackson, you will be the defense.

"What exactly does a defense do?" Nikolas asked incredulously, his helmet tipping to the side. It was like he had said something funny to the team.

On his side, a red-haired boy twice his height leaned down to see through the vents of his helmet.

"I'm going to try not to break you a bone while you run across the court." He said with a not so friendly smile walking away to his position with a certainty that made him look like he was used to it.

"Coach Lillis? I-I don't think I should be the one to do this. I'm going to be the reason Midtown doesn't qualify for that tournament." He spoke as if he was afraid. "Also, I'm new here.

"Do I look like I care that you're new? You'll run to that goal and shoot the ball while trying to dodge the defense. And if you don't, you tried. It's not like we're under pressure that our school hasn't ranked in the last 3 years but practice is what matters. Do you understand?"

"Yes."

"Did you know that they put Nikolas on the sports schedule?" Peter said with a fist to his cheek trying to focus on the exercises in his notebook, which were just designs for the web, Peter rarely paid attention in class. "He literally got shot by who knows what last night... It was disturbing...--

"I'm starting to get jealous. Do I need to have a super ability for you to care about me like that?" Ned joked and Peter blushed.

"What are you talking about? I do care about you Ned! You are my best friend."

"You shouldn't underestimate someone with regeneration or something like that, it shouldn't be hard to trust him a bit, don't you think? You are partners after all."

Nikolas was starting to feel exhausted after taking a few laps in the warm-up. He didn't know anything about the sport and that was teased by the team. He was fast. The adrenaline of hitting the ball victoriously against the ground for 2 consecutive times. Nikolas was preparing for the third time beginning to believe that he was good for something, without considering that his rival was not going to let his reputation be sullied by a rookie. Nikolas ran, Jackson made an illegal move.