seven

Peter released his hold, a bullet shot out and ricocheted off the ground with the van going away. His body rolled across the pavement due to the force of his web that caused the sudden release. Until someone reached out and picked him up with both hands tightly holding him below his shoulders.

He couldn't help but feel relieved to have some help when he saw him, or perhaps disturbed by the white spikes sprouting from his jaw. "Are those his teeth?" Peter thought.

Nikolas was surprisingly disturbing in Peter's eyes, and that made him interesting.

"The van! We have to follow the Van! uhh---White color and very dark windows."

Peter hastened to say since Nikolas tilted his head seeming to understand his words and without articulating a single word Peter understood something of the answer saying "I'll follow you".

Coordinated as a team, Peter swung across the roofs of the households and Nikolas followed the scents, running at a speed that surpassed what he used when he was fully human. Nikolas deviated climbing to a roof burying his claws in the wood, at Peter's level they witnessed the escape.

Nikolas jumped, waving his arms in the air, onto the roof of the van that wobbled under the suddenly weight. From the window Nikolas took the co-pilot by the neck, tempting to rip it off, but he pulled him out of the moving car, throwing him towards the grass ramp where there seemed to be a stream below.

A sound of blades in the air distracted him. Peter had been taken high up in the air to where the lake was.

"PETER!"

Inside his chest he felt a pressure when he saw the same wingsuit. The same one that Nikolas had bitten on the shoulder when they'd crossed paths at one of the illegal sales. A part of the lack of control was taming him when he grabbed the driver to stop the van and his life. But in the lower part of his abdomen, Nikolas felt a burning sensation causing him to lose control and fall through the grass.

He didn't feel pain. The pact protected him. But Nikolas knew that he could shed blood and bleed out even if he didn't feel it. When he saw the wound he saw a purple stone embedded in his skin with flashes like veins on the sides. The thing made him feel dull and weak as if it were poison.

Nikolas reacted when he saw Peter fall at full speed entangled in his own parachute. With his only strength he tried to help him, he wanted to jump and receive the impact protecting the body of his partner. But his energy was exhausted, he could only watch as Peter went into the water. Nikolas expected the worst.

He tried and stretched out his hand towards the water hoping that some energy that could possess Peter's body and get him out of there would sprout from it, but nothing of that happened. Nikolas didn't quite understand how his curse worked and that made him hate himself and feel useless.

"Peter, I'm sorry." Nikolas said leaning against the rocks as his chest rose and fell from his heavy breathing.

He closed his eyes and inserted his fingers into the wound, pulling the stone out with a single pull. For the first time in years, Nikolas felt pain. He felt that he was going to pass out, but something entered the water pulling Peter out quickly. It was one of Tony's suits. Nikolas hid the stone in his hand.

"Nick!" Peter came closer snatching the mask while he coughed out the water desperately. He leaned in front of him and his eyes widened when he saw the wound. "YOU GOT SHOOT! OH NO--You shouldn't have followed me!"

"Just like you shouldn't have followed them!" Nikolas responded agitated.

"Could some of you tell me what happened here? I hope it's relevant enough to have put a pause on my vacation."

"Vacation." Peter and Nikolas said at the same time.

"Yes. I'm actually not here." The helmet lifted revealing a suit on automatic, without Tony inside.

"Nikolas was shot, that's relevant!" Peter sounded a little outraged.

"He'll be fine Kid, his DNA has something called regeneration. Also...--" Tony paused and even though he wasn't there, Nikolas could feel him looking at him. "The souls, they help you, don't they? It's complicated but I read it in your report.

Peter began to explain every detail to Tony, or the suit, Nikolas managed to get up with one hand on the wound. The suit left after Tony stating that it was only thieves who had escaped through their bad luck, that there would be good times and bad times in a hero's life. Peter thought he was drunk when he said that speech so they silently watched as the suit disappeared into thin air.

"Sorry Peter, maybe we....y-you heard it yourself! I mean, before that speech. Tony said that there are people better qualified than us for things that we're not ready for yet." Nikolas opened the palm of his hand. "We should hand this over to those people.

"But I don't always want to be just the friendly neighborhood spiderman." Peter shrugged his shoulders letting his hands fall into the air angrily. "And that, is the clue we needed. Don't you want to be a friendly neighbor too, Nikolas?"

"Are you blackmailing me? Because I still can't figure it out from the tone you're speaking in Pete."

Peter smiled, oh, how he smiled.

"Maybe I do."

(25/12/22)