four

"Are you okay?"

Nikolas blinked a few times before seeing Peter touch his shoulder to get his attention. In his eyes the dilation of his pupil was reduced, when he began to get angry his pupils slowly spilled out like liquid until covering his entire eye in a dark color then his bones twisted and a transformation could begin.

"Finally someone I know." Nikolas relieved looked at Ned who almost had his mouth open any longer if it wasn't for Nikolas catching him staring at him.

"Ned." He offered his hand, closing his mouth, Nikolas took it hesitantly and shook it, Ned still genuinely surprised by what Peter had told him.

"Ignore them okay? They don't know what they're saying." Peter shrugged his shoulders worried about what could have happened if he didn't show up.

"It doesn't really affect me, I could easily finish them off in less than a second by ripping their throats out or....."

He kept talking although in reality only Ned paid attention to him, Peter was caught up in the charms of the girl who passed on the other side of the hall with her group of friends. He even stopped to appreciate and take a breath. His eyes sparkled. Now he was the one who had his mouth open.

"Yes, rip out their throats." Peter repeated off guard, shaking his head at him, and looking at Nikolas, clutching the sleeve of his backpack nervously at him, muttering rapidly. "I MEAN! NO! no ripping anyone's throat.

"Pretty, do you like her?"

"Are you kidding?" Ned said. "Liz Allen is the girl Peter Dies for."

"Peter dies for someone?"

Nikolas felt uncomfortable remembering the conversation he had with Tony the first day.

"You will have to adapt, it will be difficult but I know you will, living a life is part of the process which means that you will have to surround yourself with people  and  their social circles but never stop being you, do you understand kid? i trust in you."

"Adapt. I promise." Nikolas repeated.

Did that mean he also had to die for someone?

Someone like Peter did for Liz Allen? 

It had to be easy, Tony said so, but everything was being the opposite.

That day he tried to ignore, tried to adapt, slow as Tony indicated. Balls of paper hitting his back that made the voices startle, shouting in his ear to let them in and take over his body just like the container he was.

"A demon cannot be a hero" the voice said.

"Everyone will fear and hate you" another one continued.