Trust (Sophie's POV)

Author's Note

Hey! Sorry for not posting in such a long time, but I've been a bit busy with school and other house projects. Anyway, here's the next chapter!

"So what do you think about this Black Swan vs. Neverseen stuff?" I ask Tam while munching on a green leaf with black speckles. We had just finished ability training and were now eating dinner in the hideout's small, cozy dining room.

"I'm surprised that both of us lost our memories," Tam admits while shaking his head. "It's sort of hard to believe."

"Yeah, but they do make good points. And if we were actually part of the Black Swan, they would have brought us back with them."

"But what if the Neverseen kidnapped us?" Tam insists. "We don't know if we can trust them."

"Well, they all seem nice, and their motives seem true. And in the meantime, we can work on getting our memories back." I think about all of the Neverseen I have met so far. Lady Gisela. Gethen. Ruy. They all seemed fine to me.

"Fine. I'll go along with this for now." Tam shakes his head and mutters something inaudible under his breath. I start thinking about the ability training I had earlier today. Gethen, the other Telepath, showed me how to read minds, and taught me some neat tricks. Lady Gisela told me about how being a Polyglot works, and gave me some helpful advice on mimicking. They are all so earnest in their beliefs! Out of the corner of my eye, I see Tam trying something with his shadow.

"Can I read your shadow vapor?" He asks while turning toward me. "It's something I read about in Umber's journals. It senses your potential for darkness."

"Um.. will it hurt?" I inquire, wondering where this sudden change in topic came from.

"No," Tam edges his shadow closer towards me. I nod my head and tense up, preparing for whatever was to come. Why does Tam want to do this? Is he mad at me for being so trusting of the Neverseen? Suddenly a freezing rush enters my head, as if a blizzard is raging in my mind. After a few moments, the cold subsides, and I look over at Tam. "Are you okay?" I ask, hoping he doesn't hate me now. What if he saw a lot of darkness in me?

"Yeah.... I'm fine." He gets up and walks out the door. I start to follow him, but then I accidentally trip and bump into something. I look up and I see a familiar face frowning down at me.

It's Gethen.