23. First date

CHAN'S POV

I've been courting Yeona for two weeks now, and I've never been happier. I felt like I was almost there, like Yeona was starting to like me. Yeona was sometimes the first one to arrive, texting or searching for me. With those actions, I felt special, and today, since it's Saturday tomorrow, I'll ask Yeona out on a date.

The Friday class went as planned. We were eating ice cream at the nearest convenience store in our neighborhood. We were just laughing and talking about school when Yeona went silent. I examined her face, trying to figure out what was wrong.

" Hey, you okay?" I asked, waving at her.

"Oh? Oh yeah, sorry, I just thought I saw a squirrel," she said abruptly.

"A squirrel? Here? Where?" I wonder as I look around.

"It got away," she explained.

"You must be seeing things, you need more ice cream," I said as I shoved a mouthful of my ice cream into her mouth, and we both laughed.

We started walking to our houses and were strangely quiet until I remembered the date.

"Hey Yeona, what are you going to do tomorrow?" I asked, looking at her as she stared at the ground. She appears distressed. Perhaps asking her out was a good idea. I could divert her attention.

"Nothing really, why?" she replied, her gaze fixed on the ground.

"Would you like to go on a date?" I asked, and she abruptly stopped walking and looked at me.

"A date?" she questioned, her face surprised.

"Yeah? Why? You don't want to?" I consulted.

"No, it's not that. It's just... " she was trying to speak but something was bothering her, so she sighed.

"All right, let's go on a date," she said, smiling at me, and I smiled back.

When I got home, I went straight to my room. I threw my bag to the ground and jumped onto my bed, looking up at the ceiling.

"I'm actually going on a date with Yeona tomorrow," I said, a huge smile spreading across my face.

While kicking, I rolled back and forth on my bed. I started screaming and thinking about what we should do tomorrow, where I should take her, what I should wear, and other things.

"What are you doing?" a deep voice announced. When I opened the door, it was my brother.

"How long have you been there?" I questioned as I sat on my bed, tidying up the mess as if nothing unusual had occurred.

"Just enough for me to see your lunacy," he said.

"What do you want, and why are you here?" I changed the subject.

"I just want to tell you to stop screaming, you're about to graduate and you're still acting like a middle schooler in love," he said, and I just stared at him, dumbfounded.

"I-I am not!" I stuttered, and he walked away without closing my door.

"Oy Felix! Close the door! Yah! Yongbok!" I yelled. I shut the door and leaned against it. I sighed and considered what I should wear.

*****
Song recommendation: One Direction - Night Changes

I took the car to Yeona's house. I borrowed my Dad's car, which he agreed to because he was relieved that I was finally going on a date. He always assumed that I preferred guys to girls because I had never brought a girl to the house, gone on a date, or told them about a girl. I didn't mention Yeona to them.