Genesis - Part 2

Part 2

The first of the prison ships arrived shortly after GEM-213's installation, bringing a reluctant labour force. The worst of the human population. Rejects of society who were nothing more than a burden on an already strained ecosystem. But needs must. They're given no time to recuperate from their journey from Earth before being put to work. Prof is a stickler for keeping to his timetable, no matter if the cost is financial or worker health, as long as the job get's done on time. That's where I come in. My job is to keep the workers on schedule.

Once docked alongside Tessa, workers are transported to the lower galley for a quick meal, which the menu board states is Taurus burgers and fries, but my data bank identifies it as gruel.

"Break time is over guys," I say by way of greeting. "If you follow me to your new quarters, we'll get you kitted out with some fresh clothing. Your first shift starts in one tichuh, be ready to go planet side."

Running both the Gravitoelectromagnetiser - GEM as I like to call her - and the light source to allow building work to continue despite being on the dark side on Quaoar, has little impact on the Tessa's antimatter engine. I can barely hear it humming from the teleport room as the men assemble outside. Prof beamed down with the first batch of men, wanting to give the work order himself. I waited onboard Tessa until the last group of ten stepped into the cubicle.

A slender, bearded man regarded me curiously as he introduced himself, "Whatcha mate? Name's Roy."

"Good day, Sir. If you are enquiring after my name, it is A.I.D.3.N."

"You're a droid? Feckin Nora, I'd never have guessed. Georgie?" he called to a comrade, who stepped around another man blocking the way. "Have you seen this?"

"Aye. Very life-like ain't he?"

Roy and Georgie backed away from me. "Sirs, what are you doing? Please step away from the door."

Both mirrored my step forward by taking one backward, jumping clear of the cubicle as the door slid closed between us. It was too late to stop the sequence without jeopardising the safety of those inside the cubicle.

"I ain't working on no black rock, Mate. The way I sees it, there's not many crew on board this here ship. Georgie and me are gonna take it and go somewhere worthwhile."

"That won't be possible, Sirs. The Captain's office is secure on the upper decks. You won't get that far."

Georgie pulled Roy by the arm, urging him out of the teleport room. "You's wasting time telling that thing our plans."

Roy laughed. "Well, I thought I would say hello first then take the office, but we can do it in any order you like."