Dylan jumped out of the truck as soon as Logan found a parking space. "Don't worry. We'll go to Connie's mom's hospital room. If something has happened, or it's not going to work, we'll revert to plan B."

"Plan B?"

Dylan looked at Logan as though the answer was as plain as the nose on his face. "Hide the cake under a table."

"I can see why you work in security." He watched Dylan carefully lift the cake box out of the truck. "Whatever you do, don't drop it."

"You wouldn't be trying to jinx me, would you?"

Logan locked the truck and followed Dylan across the parking lot. The last thing Connie and her family needed was more bad luck.

So he walked beside his friend, opened the doors and navigated around anything that could make Dylan drop the box.

* * *

"Are you sure you know where Connie's mom is?" Dylan stopped beside a nurses' station and looked at the rooms around them.

"Room thirty-five."

"It doesn't look as though this ward has that many rooms. Don't move from beside the box." Dylan left the cake on the counter and walked toward a nurse. "Excuse me. Do you know where room thirty-five is?"

The nurse looked at Dylan, then across at Logan. "Who are you looking for?"

Logan joined them. He hoped Connie's mom had the same last name as her. Otherwise, he'd have to call Tess. "Mrs. Thompson. She's in the palliative care unit."

"You're in the wrong building. You need to go to the Cancer Center. If you turn right at the end of this ward and follow the blue lines, you'll end up in a big courtyard. The Cancer Center will be straight ahead of you. Have a good day." The nurse smiled and went into the next room.

Logan looked at the box sitting on the counter. "I hope the frosting hasn't melted."

"At least I haven't tripped on anything," Dylan muttered. "Let's get going in case we get lost again."

They followed the blue line out of the building. Logan opened the doors into the courtyard and stared at the glass entrance to the Cancer Center. "How did we miss it?"

"We came in the wrong entrance. If we'd parked on this side of the hospital, it would have been right in front of us."

Logan had traveled through more countries than he could remember. He'd visited almost every major airport in the world. He'd never gotten lost. Until he came to Bozeman. There had to be a lesson in there somewhere.

"What are you thinking?" Dylan asked.

"I'm thinking about the reason I came here."

"To the hospital?"

Logan shook his head. "To Bozeman. I felt like I was drowning in Seattle. I couldn't breathe. Everything was too close, too noisy. I was like a frightened rabbit."

"How's it working out here?"

"I don't jump as much. If I could get a decent night's sleep, I'd be the happiest person alive." Logan looked down at the box in Dylan's hands. "We'd better find the palliative care unit. Do you want me to carry the cake?"

"Not with those puny muscles attached to your arms." Dylan walked through the automatic doors leading into the Cancer Center.

Logan flexed his arm muscles, pleased to see bulging biceps under his T-shirt. "I don't have time to work out in the gym for two hours every day."

"It's all about priorities." Dylan grinned. "My next priority is finding a girlfriend."

A nurse walked past them and glanced at Dylan.