𝟐𝟗 | 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐂𝐡𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐧 𝐄𝐱𝐚𝐦𝐬: 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐍𝐢𝐧𝐞

Start from the beginning

Before the next two names have a chance to appear on the screen, I check my inventory, even though I know barely anything had been touched. It serves as a piece of mind when in my peripheral vision, after a loud beep from overhead, I spot Garasu jumping over the gallery railing on the opposite side of the arena. I swallow, somehow unable to look up to see who her opponent is.

"Kari," I hear Sakura say. My sharp intake of air ends up being released as a groan – I can't help it. I really don't want to fight this woman. Finally, I relent, and trudge down the stairs, my nerves quickly beginning to eat at me the closer I get to where Garasu and Mister Gekko stand waiting.

This is so scary, I think, my pulse pounding away at my throat. Why is it so scary? I wasn't even this scared when we fought Haku. Is it because I watched Sasuke and Lee get taken off to the infirmary? Or is it really only because Garasu is associated with a place that has so much suffering attached to it?

I'm forced to bow to Garasu when I reach her. Her expression is complicit, nothing leading on about it, which frustrates me. When the proctor clears his throat, I rise, pressing my shoulders back in a warming stretch.

"The eleventh match between Garasu Fujikaze of the Snow and Kari Yamada of the Leaf will begin on "three"," Mister Gekko announces.

"Go get 'er, Kari!" Naruto shouts, and it echoes throughout the arena. I take a moment to look back at him to find him standing beside Sakura, who lets out a shrill "Woo!", and Kakashi-sensei, who'd likely just returned from accompanying Sasuke, and offers a thumbs'-up at me.

"One." I smile back at them, appreciative of their support. Their battles had inspired me – they really did amazing. Naruto fought well against Kiba, and Sakura and Ino truly were evenly matched.

"Two!" Garasu is unmoving, even as I get into a stance of my own, my leg drawn behind me, ready to be the first to strike. I can't help the face I make – she's full of openings? I'm not naïve enough to believe this isn't on purpose. And I have a bad feeling that it's because she's stronger than an average Genin like me.

"Three!"

I... don't move. I rise from my stance, staring hard at the woman before me. Ugh, what is it with this feeling she's giving me? I'm not cold, but I'm shivering. The more I watch her, the higher her smirk raises, before finally, she speaks.

"I heard a rumour," she says. "About you."

"... good rumours, I hope," I end up mumbling. She chuckles.

"You're a Snow brat, too, aren't you?" I don't bother answering. "I'll take your silence as a "yes". I'll be frank with you, Kari Yamada. I don't really care about becoming a Chūnin."

"Huh?" I end up blinking at her several times. "Then why are you even here?"

"I have points to prove to people. Whether I'm given the rank of Chūnin or not changes nothing."

"... why did you even bother telling me that?" I demand of her, mildly confused. "Can we just fight already?"

"She's right," Mister Gekko says from nearby. "You have a minute to start, or I'll be forced to end your fight as a draw."

"I told you that as a forewarning to what's about to happen to you." Garasu smirks again. "You're about to become my steppingstone, just like those other two Genin I worked with did."

"They... weren't your teammates?"

"Things don't work like that in the Land of Snow, and there's seldom any opportunities for a small nation like us to participate in such a big examination... We're all a bunch of misfits there."