𝟑𝟏 | 𝐁𝐢𝐫𝐝𝐬

With the injuries Sasuke had, you'd think he'd be the one in a wheelchair, hooked up to boxes and tubes sticking out of him, all bandaged up! But no! Not him! Just me!

Somehow, whatever that Garasu Fujikaze did to me in our fight was way worse than what the doctors initially realized. It hadn't been just one organ that needed to be removed, but now several that had to be repaired, and in a worst case scenario – replaced. My body is shutting down. My immune system is failing. And I'm on about ten different medicines to help my body recover after my third surgery.

Most of my chest and torso is bandaged in some way, protecting my stitches from breaking and my staples from shifting. Essentially, it's keeping my insides on the inside. I'm grateful for it, and also for being able to get out of bed for the first time in over a week! I at least have the energy to now bathe myself – with sponges, but I'm no longer relying on the nurses to do it, so that's good. But... it will take a while for my body to get back to normal. Even that strange healing thing my body was doing before isn't happening now.

Right now, they're talking about possibly disqualifying Garasu for the kind of Jutsu she used. I know they won't. It's like the Lord Hokage had told us before – it's all about presentation. They just want a good show, after all. I'd heard the daimyo was going to attend, and several other notable figures of the Land of Fire and the other neighbouring lands. They all want a good show to watch.

I'd close my eyes while Sasuke changes into his new outfit. I recall how torn up his old ones were by the end of his match. This outfit is different: a black one-piece with a high collar. His head is still bandaged. I'm... curious about this mark of his. I'd like to see it... but I won't pry.

"I'm done," he tells me. I open my eyes, letting them adjust to the brightness of our room. Well... my room now, I guess. I can't help but frown when I look at him, but at least he looks nice in it. "What's with the face?"

"W-Well... I've just been thinking about your opponent," I admit. "Gaara? How... are you feeling about the match?"

"I'm feeling good," he says, but it sounds more like a question than an answer when the corner of his lip turns upward. "Why? You worried about me?"

I end up scoffing, but I'm not a great liar. "No more than usual!"

He chuckles. "Right."

I can't help the warm feeling in my chest from spreading to the rest of my body. Truly, knowing I have other family, and that one of them happens to be my teammate, I'm... elated. Proud. We're probably way distantly related, the Uchiha Clan being near ancient in terms of Shinobi clans. Some of the history books on the world's history that I'd read when I finally settled into the village talks about the Uchiha being one of the oldest clans. But as an only child, I... I feel like a part of me is trying to consider us being closer. Seeing all the families here, I don't think I'd mind having a brother.