𝟐𝟐 | 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐂𝐡𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐧 𝐄𝐱𝐚𝐦𝐬: 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐓𝐰𝐨

"Whoa, nice place!"

"Whoa, nice place!"

"You think?"

"Yeah, but... what is it?"

Arms crossed, I stare up at the rusting gate and fence ahead of us, and then beyond that, the never-ending twists of trees and their trunks contained by them. Just being in the presence of this place, it... I feel uneasy. I'd already be running away from this place as fast as I could – if I could.

"This is the location for the second phase of the exam," Miss Anko tells us, placing a hand on her hip. "It's the forty-fourth battle training zone, but we call it the "Forest of Death".

"T-The Forest of Death?" I accidentally repeat, my voice having gone hoarse and my body immediately stiffening. Suddenly, a large object comes in contact with my leg, and I scream – I thought one of the creatures Miss Anko mentioned earlier on had gotten out, okay?! I'm n-not a scaredy cat!

"Kari, calm down!" I barely hear Sakura say until she grabs my shoulders to steady me. "It's just Konohamaru!"

My screaming cuts off when, lo and behold, it is just Konohamaru, contained in that fake box of his again. Sighing in relief, I watch, annoyed, as it chases Naruto back in forth before finally, it explodes in multiple colours of gunpowder that reveals him and his team.

"I'm Moegi, the sassiest kunoichi in preschool! Check me out!"

"I love algebra! Call me Udon!"

"And I'm the number one Ninja in the village – Konohamaru!"

"And when we're all together," they begin to chorus, "we're the Konohamaru Ninja Squad!"

"Yeah, I knew it was you guys the whole time," Naruto says, throwing his hands behind his head. "What do you losers want? I'm getting ready to take the second phase of the Chūnin Exams and you're interrupting me. I don't have time to play with you guys now."

"We didn't come to play around, Boss!" Konohamaru says. "We're on official business!"

"Yeah, that's right! We came here for an exclusive interview!" Moegi adds, Udon agreeing with the both of them.

"What is it for?" I ask her.

"We're here on assignment to write an article for the Academy's newspaper! It's a big-time featured story, all about the Chūnin Selection Examinations!"

"So, that's why I want to do an exclusive interview with you! Please tell us you're going to do it?!"

"It would mean a lot!"

"Y-Yeah, but right now?" Naruto asks, groaning awkwardly.

"Hey! You over there!" Looking away from the fidgeting preschoolers, we find Miss Anko walking over to us, not particularly pleased. "What are you doing? You're holding up the exam!"