Chapter 17

June 17, 5:12 AM

"Oh (Y/N)..." A voice called from the endless black abyss. It didn't sound like one voice, though; it was like thousands of voices piled on top of each other. "It's okay... I won't hurt you..." The voices chuckled, thousands of different laughs at once. "Not yet..." I was shoved to the ground. "(Y/N)... Weak, helpless, (Y/N)..."

I was in my house; my old house. "(Y/N)..." The same voices called. "Help!" A new voice yelled; a boy. "Sammy?!" I asked. I rushed upstairs. "Where are you?" I asked. "Help!" I ran to my room and the door slamed behind me. I spun around. "M-mom?! Y-you're supposed to be in jail!" She laughed. "I don't recall ever going to jail..." "Help!" Sammy cried from behind me. I spun around again. He had a broken beer bottle lodged in his head. "S-Sammy?!" His face contorted in to anger. "You left me!" He screamed. "You left me to die! With that monster of a mother! I am dead now because of you!!" Tears stained my cheeks. "I-I'm so sorry! I-I was scared!" Sammy stepped closer to me and I tried to step back, but I bumped into something. "Get the fuck off of me bitch!" My mom yelled, then she pushed me off of her. I fell to the floor and started crying harder. "You fucking weak, pathetic, bitch!"

"Holy shit! (Y/N) wake up!" A voice yells, causing me to shoot up.

"Wha- what? W-what happened?" I rub my eyes and feel wetness. I squint in the darkness. "T-Toby?"

"Yeah... It's okay, I'm here..." Toby says, pulling me into a hug. I hug him back and cry into his shoulder. "Was it a nightmare?" He asks. I nod in response. "Do you want to talk about it?" I shrug as I let out more tears and sobs.

Eventually, I calm down and the sun is rising. "T-Toby?" I ask with a shaky voice.

"Hmm?"

"What time is it?"

I feel him twist his head around breefly, before turning it back. "About 5:43."

"I'm still tired..." I mumble into his hoodie.

"You can go back to sleep if you want."

"Wait. Before I do, are you okay?"

"Yeah. I'm fine."

"Okay... I'm glad... I was worried..."

Toby chuckles. "You don't need to worry about me, Princess."

"Princess?" I ask tiredly. I don't hear his response, because I fall asleep, still lying in his arms.

· · ·

"I just don't know what to do, Kate!"

"And why didn't you talk to anyone else about this?"

"Masky hates me and Hoodie would tell anything to Masky," He states bluntly.

I sigh. "Have you talked to him about it? He probably already knows, come to think of it..."

"He'll tear me to shreds! Rip me in two!"

"Calm down, Toby. He's left her alive this long, don't you think he's made up his mind?"

"I don't know... I just don't know..." With that, Toby walks out of my room, leaving me to ponder what he just told me. They haven't even known each other that long...

· · ·

I climb into the tree house to find (Y/N) listening to music. "Hey, Toby," she says looking up at me.

"Hey, (Y/N). Do you-" I pause. "Do you want to talk about your nightmare last night?"

(Y/N) freezes up, but manages to stutter, "Y-yeah... It'll be n-nice to get this off my chest... First I was just in an endless black abyss and a voice was threatening me. Then I was in my house. Sammy was yelling for someone to help him, so I ran upstairs into my bedroom. Then the door slammed shut behind me and my mom was standing in front of it. I turned around again and Sammy was standing there with-" she sniffles and wipes a tear from her eye. "With a broken beer bottle in his head. It's my fault he's dead, Toby... If I didn't leave him he would've survived..." My eyes soften and I pull her into a hug.

"Shhh... It's not your fault... It was that lame excuse of a mother... She's the one who killed him... You would've been killed too if you didn't leave..."

"But what if it was my fault?"

"It wasn't. I know that for a fact."

"Promise?"

"I promise, Princess"

· · ·

Where the hell's Rogers? I continue wandering around the forest. "What the fuck, Rogers..." I mumble to myself. Why did I try to shoot her? She was scared, and I don't blame her... She probably did better than most people would. She stayed for a night without trying to run in the cover of darkness... Granted that is kind of stupid... "So are you keeping her or not?" I shout.

As of now, I am keeping her.

I sigh. "Okay, sir." With that, I start walking back to the log cabin me and three others call home. Toby is never there anymore... Though we don't like each other very much, especially after the whole (Y/N) thing, I still care about him. He's been like a son to me and Brian sense the boss brought him here. I miss you, Toby... I'm sorry...

· · ·

I walk into the cabin, hoping to avoid all contact with the others, and walk over to the counter. My wish was ignored apparently. "You're back, Rogers," Masky says from behind me.

"Fuck off," I snap at him.

He sighs. "He told me he's keeping her for now." My eyes light up, but I don't turn to face him. "Listen, Toby... I'm sorry... I shouldn't have pulled that gun on her."

"Well apology not accepted."

"What was I supposed to do? She was going to run away! She would've told people!"

"I was taking care of her. You didn't have to fucking threaten her with a fucking gun."

Masky sighs again. "I know, I know... I went too far again... I'm sorry, Toby. You know how it gets..."

I turn around. "I do know how it gets. Just promise me you won't do anything like that again."

"Sure. I promise."

"Good." With not another word, I walk out of the front door.