Chapter 13

June 16, 9:08 AM

I open my eyes, but quickly shut them again because of the blinding sun. This time, I look away from the door before I slowly open my eyes and sit up.

Morning, (Y/N).
Aaren?
What other voice would be in your head?
None, I guess. So Toby isn't here?
No. Why would he be? It's already like 9:10.
Already?! Wow I slept for a long time!
Yeah, you did.
Should I go find him?
I don't know... Maybe? It could be dangerous...
Yeah...
Did you finish your book?
Yes, I did.
Okay... Start a new one?
I guess!

I stand up and walk over to the bookshelf, skimming through some of the titles. Three of them catch my interest.

The Soul Catcher by Alex Kava...

Finders Keepers by Stephin King...

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larson...

I decide to read The Soul Catcher, so I grab the book and sit in front of the bookshelf. First I read the back.

In a secluded cabin six young men stage a deadly standoff with FBI agents.

In a wooded area near the FDR Memorial in Washington, the body of a senator's daughter is discovered.

For FBI Special Agent Maggie O'Dell, there is nothing routine about being called into work these two cases. As an expert criminal profiler, Maggie provides psychological insight on cases that involve suspected serial killers. She can't understand, then, why she has been assigned to two seemingly unrelated crimes.

But as Maggie and her partner, Special Agent R. J. Tully, delve deeper into the cases, they discover there is a connection: Reverend Joseph Everett, the charismatic leader of a high-profile religious sect. The men holed up in the cabin were members of Everett's church, and the murder of the yound woman took place following one of Everett's rallies.

Is Everett a psychotic madman who uses his power to perform heinous crimes? Or is he merely the scapegoat for a killer more cunning than he? Maggie realises the only way to find out is by using her own mother, a member of Everett's church, as a pawn in a deadly trap.

Sounds interesting enough. I open the book and flip to Chapter 1.

· · ·

I set my now empty bowl of Cheerios in the sink and grab a little radio for (Y/N). "Where are you going, Rogers? Back to you're little girlfriend?" I ignore Masky's comment and walk out the door. "What? Not going to give me an answer?" I close the door. I turn to the right and start walking.

When I reach the tree house, I climb inside. (Y/N) is sitting by the bookshelf reading like usual. "Hey, (Y/N)," I say. Her head snaps up from the book and she looks startled.

"Oh! Toby! I didn't hear you come in."

I shrug. "I brought you a radio so you can listen to some music," I say, setting the radio down in front of her.

Her eyes light up. "You did? Thank you, Toby!" She says excitedly, setting down her book.

"It uses battery so I'll keep a stash in here."

"Okay. Can you turn it on?"

"Sure." I turn the radio on and it happens to be on the news station. I go to change it, but (Y/N) stops me.

"The search for 17 year old (Y/N) (L/N) still ongoing. Her father, (Dad/Name) (L/N), came to the police station last night to retrieve his daughter, only to discover she has gone missing! If you see a girl with short (H/C) hair, (E/C) eyes, (Skin/Color) skin, and (Your/Height) please report her to the police," the news anchor says. "And now for the newest headline-" I shut the radio off.

"M-my dad? My dad came looking for me?" (Y/N) asked in a hushed tone. "I-I- he didn't- he didn't even- he left my mom! Why would he- why would he come back?" Her eyes fill with tears, so I pull her into my arms. Her breath hitches at my movement.

"Shh... It'll be okay, (Y/N)..." I say, trying to comfort her. I run my fingers through her hair as she sobs into my hoodie, taking shaky breaths. "Do-" I pause. "Do you want to see him?" I ask.

She thinks for a moment, before nodding her head into my chest. "N-not right now, t-though..."

"Do you want to listen to some actual music this time?"

"Sure..." She says, sitting up. I turn on the radio and quickly switch the station away from the news and on to some music. I don't care what music is on, and (Y/N) doesn't seem to either.

(Y/N) leans on me, and we sit there, listening to the music.

· · ·

"Can you come with me?" I ask hopefully.

"I don't think that would be the best idea..." He replies.

"Please? I-I don't want to do this alone..."

"I mean... I guess I could put some bandages over my gash and change my hoodie..." He says. "I'll come with you. I'm just going to change and cover my gash."

I smile. "Thank you for this, Toby..."

"No problem." We're both quiet for a moment. "You know this could end up with your dad taking custody of you, right?"

"O-oh yeah..."

"Even if he does, I'll visit you, okay?"

"Okay. Thank you, again," I say. Toby chuckles.

"Stay here; I'll be right back," he says, starting to climb out of the tree house.

"Okay." Toby finishes climbing out of the tree house and down the ladder. To pass the time, I grab the book and continue reading.

Chapter 5. Suffolk County, Massachusetts. Eric Pratt staired at the two men, wondering which of them would be the one to kill him. They were seated facing him, so close teir knees brushed against his. So close he could see the older man's jaw muscles clench every time he stopped chewing. Spearmint. It was definitely spearmint gum he was geinding his teeth into.