Ch. 2: This Unnecessary Pain

Začať od začiatku

The restaurant she walked into had a nice, homely look to it. Few people milled about, others were sitting and chatting away. She stood at the entrance, wondering if she could steal a booth.

The menu was amazing. Rani loved Tex-Mex, but there were a bunch of different foods. She chose to go with a safe option and ordered cheese enchiladas from the woman at the counter.

After ordering, she went to a far corner booth and leaned her head against the nearby window. It had a nice view of the large fountain in the square. Leaves blew about, rusting like mini dust bunnies.

Someone laid a plate on her table, and she turned to thank them.

Her mouth dropped open.

The man from earlier stood before her, wearing an apron that read 'Kiss the Chief' and an expression of utter surprise. If anything, he looked more shocked than she felt.

Now that she was closer to him, the resemblances between him and Vishnu were more apparent. Their noses were identical, the same shapely kind worshiped by millions of Indians, and their hairstyles matched. His cheeks were thin, highlighting the bones surrounding his lower face.

If someone told her that this man was Vishnu's twin, she'd believe them.

"Thank—Thank you," she stammered.

His voice was softer than she'd expected. "If you don't mind me asking ma'am, were you the lady I had an accident with this morning? Silver car, with a small bump on the driver's side?"

She sighed and gripped her hands under the table. "Yes, um, that was me."

"May I sit?" he asked, indicating with a hand.

She nodded.

He sat down and stared at her. "Were you hurt in any way?"

"What? No! I wasn't!"

"Then why did you run away? Is everything alright with your car?"

She nodded frantically. "Yes, yes, everything's okay with me and my car. I—you—er, you reminded me of someone I know, and I just panicked. Sorry about that."

He looked relieved. "So you don't need my insurance or license? I don't mind giving them to you—"

"Yes, please, you barely, like, touched my car." She fiddled with her fingers.

How much longer would she be subjected to seeing him?

He grinned, which forced her heart into her stomach. "Well, if you ever need anything, name's Matt Flores, I'm the police chief for this town," he said. He held out his hand towards her.

Despite feeling terrified, she snorted a laugh. Explains the apron.

She shook his hand. "I'm Rani Srivastav."

He had a strong, confident grip. Years of working in the HR department had subjected her to people who didn't know what a proper handshake was.

Hopefully, she didn't have to see him again.

~~~

"How's school Charlie?" Matt asked.

His daughter shrugged. She'd been doing that lately; any question he asked he got a shrug, an 'eh', or nothing at all. Some rare days, like the blood moon on the fifth month of the year of the unicorn, she'd talk to him endlessly about everything.

He longed for the days when she'd talk to him about whatever was on her mind. She'd been such a bright, happy child.

Matt wondered where what he'd done wrong.