Hang out plans

The family had decided to have dinner with each other every day, as bonding time. Cynthia made pot roast with mashed potatoes, and no one complained about it, which was unexpected. I knew that Connor and his dad, Larry, were picky eaters and would complain about dinner nearly every night, but did not complain that night. 

"Zoe is in jazz band, and is one of the best in the band, according to the teacher," Cynthia rambled on of Zoe's accomplishments during dinner, making Zoe blush and hide her face in her hands. 

"If only Connor could accomplish things like his sist-,"

"Larry!"

"What? I just wish Connor would actually do something with his life," Larry stabbed a piece of his meat harshly, pointing it at Connor. "He's high half the time, right?"

"Definitely," Zoe said quickly, stuffing her mouth with mashed potatoes.

"Fuck you," Connor said just as quickly, putting meat in his mouth.

"Fuck you,"

"Now is not the time to pick on your brother. That is not constructive," Cynthia scolded Zoe. My father didn't seem to know what to do and stayed silent, picking at his food. Meanwhile, I was getting mad at the Murphy's. I wondered if that was how they treated Connor all the time, and felt seriously bad for him.

"So what? He deserves it,"

"Zoe, don't give him a hard time. It'll only make him worse, you know," I spoke up, and the table went silent, Connor looking up from his food to stare at me. 

"Thank you, Y/n," Cynthia patted my back, smiling at me. 

"If this is how your dad and Zoe treat you everyday, Connor, I feel really bad for you and understand why you act the way you do,"

"Y/n, young lady, do not say those kinds of things about our friends," My dad, scolded me, pointing his fork in my direction.

"You always told me to speak up when something is wrong. Taking that back now, dad?" I didn't look up from my plate as I said it in a calm voice despite the harshness behind it.He stayed silent, and no one said anything for a few minutes, before the oven started to beep.

"Oh, I made a pie! Anybody ready for dessert?" Cynthia yelled out, rushing to throw oven mitts on her hands and pull the pie out.

-

"Why'd you stand up for my brother, Y/n? He's... a monster," Zoe asked me when we got back to our room and was playing on the PlayStation. Connor was smoking on the balcony, so she didn't worry about a filter. 

"I don't think he likes acting the way he does, and it's not his fault that he does act like that. He knows everyone will bite at him, so he bites first,"

"I wouldn't bite at him if he didn't bite at me," I rolled my eyes at Zoe, putting my controller down and letting my character in Mario Cart drive off the Rainbow Road. 

"Who bit first, Zoe?" At first, she looked like she was going to bite at me, but then a look of guilt washed over her face. It was her, and she knew it, so she couldn't deny it. She would not lie to me or anyone, really. 

"I... It doesn't matter. It's not just me, anyway. He bites at anyone that grows the guts to talk to him,"

"He hasn't bit at me,"

"He will soon enough,"

"Aight, bet," The door to the balcony opened, and Connor came walking in with a look of indifference on his face. "Oh. I came up with an idea for the bed, by the way," Both their eyes looked to me. "I know you guys don't want to share a bed, but what if I slept in the middle so you can't fight?"