CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

Start from the beginning

Sanem responded, "Our flight leaves in three days, during that time we can help you pack and you could travel back with us.    There is no question about you staying with us; you do not need to pay for a hotel, as we have extra bedrooms.    I just need to know if you have trouble climbing stairs."

Can spoke up saying, "I will contact the airline, and make all of our flight arrangements.   We will ask Ulmut to recommend someone to take care of your home while you are away."

Bayan Cemile replied with tears in her eyes, "Are you sure, you have your hands full taking care of your children?    We would be in the way at your home, and I'm not sure I can climb stairs right now." 

 Sanem said, "No problem, I have an idea."   Can says laughing, "Okay we are in trouble now because if Sanem has an idea, no one else can make any changes."

Sanem playfully punched him in the side, and he started laughing.   The children heard and ran over laughing and started tickling their Baba.   Dante came over, but stood to the side watching as the children pulled their Baba to the floor.   

Sanem touched Can with her foot, and he looked at her.   She kind of motioned toward Dante, and Can reached up and pulled Dante down to the floor.   The kids immediately started trying to tickle him, soon everyone was laughing, and even Bayan Cemile was smiling with tears in her eyes.   She told Can and Sanem, "We will come to Turkey and stay with you, thank you very much."

After a while the Divit's left with a promise to be back first thing the next morning.

When they were back in the hotel room, and the children were settled.   Can asks Sanem, "What is this great idea you have, even though I think I can guess?"

Sanem laughed and said, "You know me so well.    I will call the most organized sister in the world.    I will ask her to hire someone to move your office downstairs to upstairs, and move the guest room furniture downstairs.   Fortunately there is a small complete bathroom attached to your office.   Your Baba is a very smart man and knows how to set up a house."

Can said, "Yes, he does and so do you.   That is exactly what I thought you would do.    It is a perfect idea."

Sanem called Leyla who told her, "It is as good as done already.    Don't worry Sis; I've got this for you.   See you in a few days."  Leyla hung up the phone and called CeyCey, who knows everyone, and he started calling friends to help.   When he and Leyla finished the next day, everything was perfect, and no one charged anything.   They were glad to help out friends.

The next day when the Divit's got to Bayan Cemile's home, Sanem noticed that Dante had been crying.   After he greeted the kids and Can, he went to Sanem and hugged her around her waist.    He then begins weeping loudly.

Sanem sat down on the floor right where they were and hugged him back.    Can wasn't sure what to do, so he had the children come sit on the couch with him.   All of them with Bayan Camile sat and watched Sanem and Dante.

When Dante's crying slowed, Sanem very gently rubbed his hair and ask, "What's wrong son and what can I do to help you right now?"    Dante looked up at her and said, "I really want to go to Turkey with all of you but I don't want to leave Momma and Papa'.   We used to go to the cemetery and visit them every Sunday, until Nonna got to sick.   That's okay because I am still close, but in Turkey I will be so far away."

Now all of the adults were crying with this very sad child.   Bayan Cemile started to say something, and Can looked at her and shook his head no.    He whispered to her to listen to Sanem.

Sanem hugged Dante tight to her and said softly, "Dante I want you to put your hand on your heart and feel."    He looked puzzled, but he did what she said.   She then softly asks, "Do you feel anything?"    He said, "I feel my heart beating."

She said, "Every time you miss your Momma and Papa' I want you to feel your heart beating.    It is beating because your Momma and Papa' loved each other and you so much that they made you.  Your heart beats because of them and if you are far away, all you have to do is feel your heart beat and you will know they are with you always.    You can always visit the cemetery, but your parents aren't really there because they are in your heart beat.   They loved you so much and they would want you to be happy.   If going to Turkey makes you unhappy, then we need to think of something else."

Dante looked up at Sanem and said in a whisper, "Can I come live with you in Turkey and take my heart beat with me?"   Sanem, Can, and Bayan Cemile started chuckling softly through their tears and Sanem said, "Of course you can, but those three little ones on the couch might drive you crazy."

Dante said, "No they won't Anne, they are my brother and sisters."   He jumped up and started running around the room saying, "You can't catch me."     Next thing they knew all three kids were chasing him; the adults were crying and laughing at the same time.

Sanem went over to Bayan Cemile, and apologized if she overstepped any boundaries.    Bayan Cemile hugged Sanem saying, "That was perfect, thank you so much for helping him cope.    All of you are exactly what he needs; I can die in peace knowing he will be loved."

Can spoke up saying, "There will be no more talking about dying any time soon; we have already made an appointment for you in Istanbul, with an Oncologist for a second opinion.   You just need to have your Doctor send your records to the specialist.   Now I had better gain a little control of these children or we will not get anything done today."

Bayan Cemile and Sanem sat and drank tea while Can and the children played together.   After a while Sanem helped Bayan Cemile pack a lot of photo albums, awards and school journals of Luca's, to ship to Turkey.   They were able to pack to ship quite of few things that had belonged to Elena and Luca for Dante to have when he was older.   Elena had kept journals from the time she knew she was pregnant till she passed away, and they packed all of them very carefully to be shipped.

After a light lunch that Sanem had prepared, Bayan Cemile and the three younger children all lay down on her bed together and to take a nap.    The children had fallen in love with Bayan Cemile and were excited to lie on her big bed while she read them one of Dante's older books.

While Sanem cleaned the kitchen after lunch, Can and Dante worked together packing things in Dante's room.   Sanem could hear them laughing and talking while they packed.   She was so happy to see how well those two were getting along.   She felt more and more that they were doing what they were supposed to be doing.

The only concern she had was what Baba Aziz would do when heard this story.   Would he be angry that he never knew about Luca?     Would he understand why he was never told?    Would he forgive Bayan Cemile, and would he accept Dante as his grandson?   

The only thing that Sanem felt would be okay, was accepting Dante.    But if he didn't she would be a fierce Anne and make sure he didn't hurt Dante's feelings.   For now, all Sanem knew in her heart, was that they were doing the right thing.