11

And there'll be days when it's difficult,

But I ask you to never leave behind the reciprocal, we're past that.

---

After our talk, I stayed up all hours of the night, looking for the right song for the dance. I came to Wednesday's rehearsal prepared.

"I have a song idea, Arielle."

"Let's hear it."

I pulled her out into the hallway and gave her the earbuds.

The song was "Outnumbered" by Dermot Kennedy.

Arielle started sobbing. I pulled her into my arms.

"It's perfect."

I smiled. "Then we better get to work."

---

We started choreographing right away. Besides our regular scheduled rehearsals, we went into the studio two other times during the week. We pushed through every lift and spin, working hard side by side.

I walked into the studio a week before our performance. It seemed like another normal Saturday morning. That is, until I saw Arielle, curled up in the corner with her long-sleeve black shirt on. She tried to stop wearing them to the practices with just the two of us. She told me she didn't want to hide her scars from me.

The fact that she was hiding told me that last night was not an easy one.

I sat down a couple of feet away from her, trying to give her the space she needed.

"I can't do it, Christian. Not today."

"I understand you're broken, Arielle. I see it in your eyes every day. But I need you to believe me when I tell you that I will never try to hurt you. I won't ever let it happen." She didn't say a word. "I know I'm going to have to prove it to you. I never expected to get away from that. But I want you to know that you are the strongest person I've ever met, and I think you can do it today."

She sighed, dropping her head into her hands. "Christian..."

"We can take it slow." Hesitation still glimmered in her eyes. "I found that song for a reason, Arielle. Even if you're lost right now, I'm right here. I will never leave you. Please believe me?"

My question hung in the air for an eternity. "Okay."

I stood up and reached to help her up. She grabbed my hand, and we began the routine, flying faster than ever.