Chapter 14

“Lilly, get up. Liiiilllllllyyyy get uuuupppp.” Asher says.

“Fine, fine. I’m up. What time is it?” I ask

“It’s dark. Time to go look for Asher.” He responds.

“Okay. Sugar!” I call.

“Coming!” She says, coming out of the bathroom. “What is it?”

“We’re gonna go look for Sage now.” I state

“Actually,” Asher starts, “I think Sugar should stay here. Now, before you ask why, I already have your answer. Sage is usually a very closed person. The only people he’s ever opened up to is me and you, Lilly. Sugar, I have nothing against you, and neither does he, it’s just that he’s more likely to talk if it’s just us. Okay, you can both yell at me now.”

“Actually that makes a lot of sense. I’m fine with it. You, Lilly?” Sugar asks.

“Yeah. I’m okay with it.”

“Okay,” Asher intervenes, “Sugar, this could take anywhere from 15 minutes to 3 hours. Sage is extremely talented at finding places to hide and staying there for extended periods of time. You okay with that?” He asks.

“Yeah. I mean it’s not like I don’t have anything to do. I’ll work on covering up those panels.” She says very matter-of-factly.

“Sugar, are you sure you’re okay with staying here all alone for that long?” I question.

“Lills, you of all people know that I am perfectly capable of handling myself.” She says while wrapping me in a hug.

“Okay, we’ll be back.” Asher says.

“Later” She says. I’m surprised she’s been able to stay cheery and happy all this time.

“So, Asher. Where do we start?” I ask.

“Everywhere,” He says, “We start everywhere. Now, Sage is tall, but he’s very good at taking up minimal space. When he left, he was looking for somewhere quiet and peaceful to think. Let’s check the supply closets, and other small rooms. He likes dark places, and a corner he can curl up in.”

“We’ve been looking for 2 hours and have checked e v e r y w h e r e. Where in the heck could he be?” Asher asks very dramatically.

“Hold on. Let me think for a minute.” He’d also want to be where nobody would expect him to be, so maybe that’d be….. somewhere off limits. Off limits, off limits……

“I know where he is.” I announce

“What? How? Where is he? Do you have some x-ray vision I don’t know about?”

“No,” I say as I start walking, “remember that time when I was outside and he came after me?”

“Yeah, I do remember that, it was like, a couple days ago. What’s your point? Oh my god don’t tell me you did each other in a closet.”

“No, Asher.” I say laughing. I can’t believe he’d say something like that to my face. “Well we were on our way back inside and we got lost and at one point. Once we realized we were somewhere we weren’t supposed to be, we hid in a closet to avoid being caught. He’s probably there.”

“So we’re going to have to go somewhere we’re not supposed to be, while we’re on Ms. Dew’s bad side???” He asks.

“Well, I guess so. Let’s try and get lost again.”