Chapter Thirty

Jessica

One month later

"Jessica!" Ellen Pompeo says with a warm smile. "We never get scenes with Meredith and Arizona anymore, I am so happy to see you."

I grin back. "I know! Me too!"

Being on set was the best feeling recently; it gave me something to do besides 
A: Be a mom B: Be alone

I was wearing my lab coat as usual, sitting in my cast chair with a coffee in my hand. In the show, Mer and Arizona are teaming together for a trial, using Meredith's 3D printer and using it to give NICU babies stronger spines.

"How have you been?" she asks, script in hand as the makeup team touches us up, about to film. "You had a rough couple of months back there, but you seem peppier."

I chuckle. "Yeah, the divorce was hard. Then I went through a breakup and Sara leaving the show took a toll on me. But I am so much better now. It's been what? Five months? Six months? Since the divorce and I really am finding happiness inside of me. Truly."

Ellen pats me on the leg. "I am so, so happy to hear that. Especially because I want you to be calm and excited when I tell you this..."

Tell me what?

"You are being flown out to New York City tomorrow. We are filming a three episode New York special and due to our filming schedules being so different, we have to send different cast members at different times. Your schedule just so happened to be most free next week."

WHAT?

"I -" I say, stuttering. "I'm not mad, I get that I have to travel, it's a part of my job. But what about my kids or the episode we're filming right now?"

"Well," Ellen starts.

"Also, why did you tell me? You're just as much of a cast member as I am. Why didn't Shonda tell me? Or a producer? Or anyone?"

Ellen grimaces as my tone becomes more stern. "I'm sorry, Jess. I was just asked to pass the word. The season finale is going to be the cast in New York for a conference and a bomb is going to go off at a Broadway show down the street. We haven't gotten our scripts for those episodes due to the fact that those episodes don't air for months but due to the coronavirus spreading in China, producers are nervous that we won't be able to travel by the time that filming those episodes comes along and -"

I hug her tight as I jog out the door. "I have to call Christopher and cover childcare, but I will start packing! I am excited, this is exhilerating. Traveling cross country for a finale as we try to beat a virus. Very Grey's of us."

"Wait!" Ellen calls after me. "We have to film this scene!"