CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

Start from the beginning

During Sanem's story, Bayan Cemile started crying and she told them they were answers to her prayers.   She turned to Can and ask "Are you related to Aziz Divit?    When Can said, "Yes, he is my Baba."   She said, "Son come closer, if those little cuties will let you leave them on the couch."

Sanem traded places with Can, and she sat on the couch with the children.  They were being extremely good, being just a little over three years old.  Dante got up and went closer to Sanem and the children; he didn't say anything, just sat down at her feet.

Bayan Cemile reached down and held Can's hand saying, now I need to tell you a story.   "Almost thirty-three years ago I was friends with your Baba; I was living in Istanbul at the time.   He and Mirhiban had broken up and Huma was trying to date him.   We were in high school at the time; he and I were good friends.   You look so much like he did at that time; you are just a little taller with different colored eyes.

Anyway one weekend toward the end of our senior year, we went out and I hate to tell you but we were drinking alcohol.  The next day we realized what we had done, even though we were ashamed, we decided to never tell anyone.   Aziz and Mirhiban made up and we all stayed friends.  When we graduated, I came to Milan to go to University.   I had not been here long when I discovered I was pregnant.   I was never able to go back to Istanbul after that, because of shaming my family.  My parents came here and my Anne stayed with me temporarily.  My Baba went back to Istanbul, but he became ill and died with cancer.   My Anne moved here then and helped me raise Luca.

 Luca was your half-brother, that's the reason you and he favor each other so much.  You probably know that he died in a plane crash about five years ago; he would be almost thirty-two now if he had lived.   Are you twenty-nine now?   He was almost four when I heard that Aziz and Huma were married and had a son.   I know this is a lot to take in now, but I am glad you got to know him even if briefly.

Your Baba never knew about Luca, because it was too complicated with him dating Mirhiban, and Huma was always causing problems for all of us.    I know it was wrong to never tell him, but I never knew how to tell him and not cause lots of trouble.

I was married to a wonderful man, who adopted and loved Luca as his own.   I never had any other children.   My husband passed away at a young age with a heart attack.   Luca knew that my husband was not his father.   He didn't care and loved him very much.

Now I have cancer, and the treatments are not working.   I have been praying that Dante would be taken care of after I'm gone.   We have no family but each other, and I have worried so much.  Elena, his mother was an orphan.   Dante is eight years old now, turning nine in a couple of months.   He is way to young not to have a Mamma and Papa'.   I see you have three beautiful children, they look like triplets.   Maybe if you can't help with Dante, you have family that could?"

Can was crying as he heard this story, to think he had an older brother that no one knew about.   At least now he knows why he and Luca got along so well.   He had admired Luca so much, and he wishes now he had kept in touch.   He could not believe that Sanem had been dreaming about his nephew.   It was answered prayers that all of this happened.

He looked up at Bayan Cemile, and said, "Sanem already has a room ready for Dante.   We wondered if he might be my son, and was that the reason she was dreaming about him.   It didn't bother her who he was; she just wanted to help him.   I would like for both of you to come to Istanbul with us.  Sanem prepared a room for you also, when she learned Dante had a grandmother.   I think it is time for you go home, but I don't want us to pressure you.   I have a lot to tell you about Baba, Huma, and Mirhiban, but we will save that for another time.   We don't want to tire you."

He turned around and started smiling as all three of his children were trying to sit on Dante and he was laughing.   Bayan Cemile said with tears flowing, "This is the first time I have heard him laugh since his Mamma got sick this last time.   Thank you for not ignoring your wife's dreams."

They just sat and watched as Sanem got on the floor with all the children and started telling them a story.   Dante had scooted very close to Sanem and she had her arm around him and the children were sitting all over the two of them.   Can said, "I am pretty sure everything will be fine now.   Please think about coming back to Istanbul with us.   I think you need to sit down with my Baba and tell him about Luca.   It's time for him to know about his oldest son, he will be so proud of him."

The detective was sitting quietly in a chair to the side, just watching and listening.   He was amazed at the story he was hearing and actually had tears in his eyes.   Can got up and went over to him and shook his hand and thanked him for helping them in this very strange case.   He told Can, "I grew up in Turkey, that's how I know Metin.   This is the strangest case I have ever worked on, but with the most rewarding results.   Your family is very special to follow-up on something like this from dreams.   Thank you for letting me be a part of this and I am willing to help in any way I can."

Bayan Cemile insisted they all stay for lunch.   The nurse that comes give her medications in the mornings always prepares lunch for them, and had prepared extra this morning after Umut's call.   She asks Dante to go get the fruit and sandwiches out of the refrigerator.

When he got up Deniz and Yildiz jumped up and grabbed his hands.   They told him they were going to help; when Dante looked back, Ates had a sad look on his face.   Dante told the girls, just a minute, and he ran back and whispered something in Ates ear.    Ates started laughing and they both ran back and held the girl's hands.

Can looked at Sanem and she shrugged her shoulders.   Can said, "It must be a boy thing."   All of the adults started laughing.   Ates ran back into the room telling them food was ready, and whispered in Can's ear, "Dante said his Papa' told him we have to 'always be nice to the ladies'.   Baba bring the ladies to eat."    He took off running while Can just stood laughing and told the others what Ates said Dante told him.   Sanem who had Bayan Cemile's arm helping her up, leaned over and said loud enough for Can to hear, "Sounds just like a Divit man!"   They all went to eat laughing, with Umut following.

Umut left after the meal, reminding them that he would be glad to help with anything.   Can and Sanem and the children stayed for a while getting to know Dante, while his grandmother lay down to rest after eating.   Dante spent a lot of time talking with Sanem, and then later with Can.   When the triplets started getting grumpy, Can and Sanem took them back to the hotel for a nap.   They ask Bayan Cemile to let them know what she decides to do, about going with them to Turkey.    Can gave her his cell phone number, to call anytime.