~Chapter Fourteen~

*CRY'S POV*

I knew she was going to go for him. I'd guessed pretty easily, as I've met the Maiden before, a long time ago. Long time ago meaning when I was content with killing people. When someone firsts meets her, she's what they imagine, and more. She's what they miss most in the whole entire world, whether that is your cat or a freakin' enchilada. But to the eyes that have already seen her, she's a monster. A restless ghoul whose intentions are unknown.

With long, gnarled dark hair and black eyes, she stands, smiling eerily. The strange thing about the Maiden is you can never tell what she wants... the first time I met her she didn't try to kill me or anything like that. She helped me, which confuses me more than ever.

*FLASHBACK*

I step out of the cabin and slam the door behind me. Just another day in the forest, eh? I think I'll go hunting today. Maybe catch a few unaware campers who definitely chose the wrong place to spend the night. Walking out deeper in the woods, I follow my senses, like always. My senses are almost always right, and I've learned to trust them, kind of like a wild animal.

Which I am one... a wild animal inside and out. The wild animal of the whole entire forest, I'm not someone that should be messed with.

Where my senses took me this time... it wasn't normal. My senses were wrong for once in a long, long, long time.

As I walk further and further, I start to see petals, and hear singing. Mad and Virus, just messing with me, right? But it's coming from deeper in the woods. It takes me hours and hours to reach the origin. Long past the time limit I have... Snake must be really worried

"Hello? Is anyone here?" I brush back a few tree branches, and blink at the woman who's weaving a flower crown in the meadow. She's absolutely beautiful - long brown hair, just like my mother, and wide blue eyes. A huge tree where the petals must be coming from stretches out behind the woman. It's not as beautiful as the woman, though, who steals all the thunder. She doesn't even look up as I take a few steps forward. "Mom? Mommy? Is that you?"

"Come here. I want to look at you. You've grown a lot, haven't you? Still short, I see, just not as short." I step to her side, and plop down, in shock. Is this my mom's spirit? Who is she? "Anyways, you have to bury them, Cry. All of them, or you will never know."

"Mom... why did you leave me? What are you talking about?" A tear runs down my face. "I... I killed you... Mommy... but you deserved it." She looks down as the crown, and places it on the ground so her hands are free. Reaching up, she unties my mask, and it clatters to the ground. I do nothing. She places the crown on her own head, and smiles.

"I'm sorry, but you really do have to bury them." She points behind me and I turn, my head whipping around. I'll do whatever she says, no matter what.

Behind me, there are bodies.

"What is this...?" I blink, and then there are more. Piles and piles of bodies. Every time I blink there seems to be another one added onto the pile. "What have you done to these people, Mom?" I turn back, and her form flickers.

"I'm not your mom, Cry. You may call me the Maiden." She smiles brightly, and I take a step back. This isn't my mom. Where's my mom? "Bury them. All of them or you die."

"What did you do to these people?" I repeat, and she shakes her head. Smiling, the Maiden tips her head to the side, and a little blood runs down her neck. I take a step back, my eyes wide. There is such power in her presence. I don't want to make her angry.

"You mean... what have you done?" She smiles even wider, and I take another step back in horror, almost tripping over a lifeless corpse. "These are the people you've killed, Cry. This is all on you."