7. cards on the table

Start from the beginning

The three little bears and the wooden bunny, who had come running after witnessing the explosions from uphill lifted the pair and dragged them away from the water, unaware they were being watched.

*******

Back at White Castle, Regina was on the cusp of exploding. She gazed into the mirror where Cinderella's soaked likeness shown to her. "That little ingrate!" She screeched. "How dare she interfere! It's was one thing to have stolen my shoes, but now thanks to her my entire plan could fall apart!" 

The queen then snatched her purple cloak and donned it, pulling the hood up. "Your going after her?" the mirror asked.

"What? were you planning to?" She retorted as the mirror broke out in laughter, Regina walking away. Her plan may yet be salvaged.

*******

It had been half an hour since Merlin and Cinderella had woken up and the sky was alright pitch dark. They were currently sitting dry on a log in front of a built fire, the three bears and bunny sleeping in a pile behind them.

"I was scared I had lost you, when you went into the water." Cinderella suddenly said quietly. Merlin turned his head and was surprised to see tears dangling from her eyes and before he could blink she had engulfed him in a hug. "I thought I'd never see you again!" she cried.

All Merlin could do was wrap his arms around her in turn and mumble, "But you didn't. I'm here."

After crying for a few solid minutes, the blonde retracted from the hug, dried her eyes, and lightly smiled at him. "Thank you for being here for me."

Although stunned for a few moments at the sheer amount of gentleness in her eyes, Merlin smiled back and responded with, "And I, you"

A thought then occurred to the girl, a surefire way to know his intentions. She would tell him.

"I know." She said cryptically.

"Know what?"

"I know..that you and the others are the Fearless Seven."

A look of shock washed over his face as he softly asked, "How?"

"It really wasn't that hard. The weapons you use and the same names. It didn't take me too long. And before you ask, no I don't see you differently." 

He let out a sigh of relief at this, now all barriers were gone. But before he could say anything, she said something that left his breathing shallow. "All I want to know is...how did you end up like this. The truth please."

Reluctantly swallowing, he begun the tale of how the F7 had gotten cursed. "It was about a year ago. We had been called into a kingdom to defeat a dragon and save a princess. We did just that, but when we met the princess we mistook her for a witch and sort of...attacked her. As punishment she cursed us to take on these forms whenever someone looked at us, while we would become normal when no one looked at us. The only way to break the curse was...to receive a kiss from the most beautiful woman in the world. When we met you, we knew it was you. But I can assure you," he reached over to clutch her hand, he blue eyes expanding widely. "I do have feelings for you. I just thought I might have more a chance of you returning them if i was my old self."

When he had finished his explanation, although shocked, Cinderella's face bloomed a scarlet red at the implications. "Th..that's what you think of me? The most beautiful woman in the world?"

"Yes," he said, his face also turning red. "You are." But he was most surprised when she turned her head and shook. "I don't think so. In fact, I think you deserve someone better then me."

"W..What do you mean? Have you seen yourself? Your perfect!"

She smiled lightly but it was overtaken by her forlorn look as she gazed directly at him. "That's not what I mean. What I'm trying to say is when you boil it down I'm not the sort of person whom you should be with. Your a prince for crying out loud, and you have hundreds of beautiful girls throwing themselves at you. And while I do feel the same way, I'm a servant girl with no dowry and no family. Smart match, don't you think," she snorted at the last part.

What she didn't expect to happen was for the prince in question to grasp her hand and turn her head downwards to face him. "You think I care about any of that?" he said looking up at her with a smile. "I may have once, but when you came into my life that got thrown out the window. This curse was the best thing to ever happen to me because I knocked some sense into me! I really don't care where you come from because I know who you are. Your a beautiful, smart, kind, and hardworking girl that frankly I don't deserve."

Her face then adorned a serious look as she stared into his soul. "Tell me truly, do you mean that." He nodded swiftly and responded, "Yes."

She simply clutched his hand and without warning, he let out a string of chuckles. "What?" she asked confused. "I just can't believe you feel the same way! Ah, the others are going to be so mad at me for, I kid you not, 'stealing you away from them'." 

"They really think that?" Cinderella asked, shaking her head in amusement. He nodded vigorously. She smiled and scooted forward and a blush ignited on both of their faces, and the energy they felt by the river earlier came back. Once again the two were leaning in, but alas, the universe had other plans. 

"Well isn't this sweet."

The two instantly snapped away from each other and stood, Cinderella adopting a look of horror on her face as she took a step back. "Regina?"

"In the flesh," she sauntered up to them. "You know little Cindy, I'm sure Snow has been missing you."

"What have you done to her," the blonde growled. No one messed with her friend.

"Oh relax, honey. Nothing...yet." The queen smirked as her eyes landed on the slippers. "And I can promise It will stay that way if you hand over the shoes."

"Never," Cinderella's gaze narrowed. "I know you well enough to realize she'll wind up hurt anyway."

Regina simply raised her shoulder and arms up in a joking manner. "Well, you got me." She then took notice of Merlin and dissolved into a fit of laughter. "Oh, you little minx, you've been busy since you've left."

"Touch her and your done for," Merlin said as he pulled out to spell cards. The queen simply signed and smirked. "Well, looks like I'll be doing this the hard way."

Then faster the the eye could see, she shot forward and enveloped Cinderella in her cloak, both of them vanishing into thin air.

"Cinderella!" Merlin cried out. Wasting no time, he climbed on the wooden bunny's back as he had woken during the commotion. He knew one thing, he wouldn't loose her without a fight.

"Come on long ears, let's go."

"Hey, wait for us," the three little bears called to him from the ground. "How about you go back and get the others, and make lot's of copies of this," he handed them a spell card. And with that, he rode the bunny forward towards the White Castle.

*******

At the castle, Regina came out of the portal falling to the ground, Cinderella unconscious next to her.

"Your power my lady," the mirror spoke. "It has drained you."

"You think," she growled. "I don't need you to tell me how I look."

"I'm a mirror! It's what I do. M--i-r-o-r. Sorry, I can't spell." 

"Enough. Bind her," Regina cast her gaze over to Cinderella on the ground, and smirked. "It's supper time."

Note: So we finally reach the climax next chapter and I'm super excited to write it. Please comment as this was one of my favorite chapters to write and I always love to hear what people think. Thanks-Lulu