Chapter Twenty

I would recognize him anywhere.

While the Lenox family controlled most of the cities wealth, Adamos controlled the Senate. Roland Lenox, was arguably the leader of the Antheian government, but Darius was the one who did his bidding.

June hadn't prepared me for this.

"Miss Stacey Sardon. It's lovely to make your acquaintance," Darius side sweetly, before gently kissing my hand, taking more time with it than most would. Normal girls would find it charming.

"It's nice to meet you as well," I responded, trying to ignore my quickly beating heart. I'd seen him in his speeches and he'd always been quite handsome. It was one of the reasons he was so likable.

"I've read your profile. You have quite the history, don't you? You know, we don't usually get senators from other cities," he commented. His blue eyes lasered in on me. I prayed he wouldn't ask about that history, because with him staring me down, I couldn't remember a thing.

"I've just worked my hardest, and hope to continue doing so here," I responded, simply.

"Walk with me." He didn't even ask. And I didn't even have a choice. He held out his arm and I took it, letting go of Hank as I went. I met Hank's gaze one last time, but there wasn't a thing he could do. It was obvious Darius wanted me alone...and I don't think it'd be appropriate for Hank to throw a fuss about this. We couldn't appear suspicious.

He led me to out one of the many doors leading to the gardens. It took me a bit longer to get down the stairs with the heels on.

"When I saw your application, I was simply amazed. You seemed like the exact type of person we need here." He walked at a slow pace, something I was outrageously grateful for. My heels were killing me. "I was curious, what made you choose to come to Antheia? I'm sure your old city was as beautiful."

I'd thankfully practiced for such a question. "I needed a bit of a change. I've also heard so many good things about Antheia that I could not resist. The city is marvelous. The architecture is more elegant than anything I've seen." Pack on the compliments. That's all I had to do.

He laughed lightly. "It is quite beautiful. I cannot deny that. Not every woman has such an eye for good architecture." I didn't really know how to respond, so I stayed silent. That was something else June had taught me. Not everything needed a response. Although forgoing one could also be a fatal flaw in conversation. It was really a balancing act that I'd need to get used to. "I've never seen a woman such as you." He said it almost as an afterthought.

Immediately, blood rushed to my cheeks. I'd been receiving compliments all night from all sorts of men, but he said it differently. He said it as if he genuinely meant it. At the same time, it made me slightly uncomfortable as he was nearly ten years my senior. He likely didn't know that, though.

"Thank you," I murmured, finally, trying not to give too much away. If he sensed my discomfort, he didn't show it.

"Truly, that dress is stunning on you. Not many could pull it off." He eyed the material, and I felt like I needed to cover up.

"I was lucky to have found such a wonderful tailor." I smiled hesitantly. Inside, I wanted to run away back into the ballroom. I didn't trust him a bit. I hoped Hank was paying attention. He had to be. If something were to happen...

I calmed myself. Nothing would happen. If I panicked, Darius would be able to tell, and everything would end.

I leaned towards him. Maybe flirting back was how I could save myself. Maybe this was exactly what I needed to do.

He stopped walking and faced me, his hands traveling to my waist. My breath caught. No. This isn't what I wanted. I hadn't intended him to try to kiss me that quickly.

But he wasn't making a move. Instead, he leaned forward, until his mouth was right next to my ear. "This Senate is not for those who do not listen. Be careful where you tread." His breath tickled the few strands of hair by my ear, and I shuddered. I felt a chill settle in my bones at his words. He couldn't know. There was no way he could know...

And maybe he didn't.

Maybe this was his greeting.

A threat.

I just nodded. I just nodded and tried to seem less terrified than I truly was. He gently trailed his hand along the shoulder of my dress, and I suppressed the urge to cringe away. When he finally took a step back, it felt like I could breathe again.

"Let's head back inside. There are a few people I think you should know."

_______________________________

Hank was absolutely MIA. I literally had no idea where he'd gone to. But he was gone. I was alone. This sucked.

Fortunately, Darius didn't threaten me anymore once we were back inside. He simply led me around as Hank had done, introducing me to more and more people. It felt like the sole purpose of these balls were for pretending to be friends with people you secretly despised.

Eventually, Darius took me out of the ballroom and up to an upstairs area with a couple lounges. Each had handfuls of richly adorned attendees smoking and laughing with each other. Things seemed to be less tense back here. Not everyone was allowed in the lounges – only the true upper-class it seemed. Here, there were fewer masks, and more gossip. I stuck close to Darius's side as we traveled from one to the next.

Finally, we settled in one of them, with Darius getting quite involved in a conversation with two proudly busty women. He had me sat right next to him, a little closer than I may have preferred. I was pretty sure he was mildly drunk. He spoke more casually now, with fewer of the manners I'd gotten used to him using around others.

I'd begun to stop paying attention to his conversations, when I felt him suddenly perk up. "Ah, of course," he commented, a smile on his lips. He turned to me once more, leaning in close enough I could smell the alcohol on his breath. "There is one last person I intend to introduce you to." He waved someone over, who I had trouble seeing through the clusters of people mulling about.

But ever so slowly, a man came into view through the light haze of fog covering the room. No...not a man. A boy.

My blood ran cold.

"This is my son. Erebus."

The hacker.