Intransigent | 16

Chapter 16

Emma's POV

Ashton was already awake when I woke up. He was laying on his back with one arm behind his head and the other around me as I was draped across his chest. I smiled in contentment. This was so much better than I'd ever imagined.

I knew that escaping from Max was a long shot, that I'd be lucky to ever see my family again, yet here I was, laying in bed with my mate and my family and friends in the guest rooms. I couldn't have asked for anything better.

Ashton smiled down at me gently. "How did you sleep, sweetheart?" he asked me.

"Remarkably well," I told him. "Thank you."

He rested a hand against my cheek, staring into my eyes. "You never have to thank me for being here," he told me. "I'd do anything for you."

I smiled shyly at his statement. Lifting myself up, I kissed his cheek before crawling out of bed.

"Where are you going?" he complained.

I laughed. "I'm going to get ready and then go down for breakfast," I told him. "With any luck, I'll get down there in time to help. I'd like to get to know Cindy and her daughters better."

Ashton groaned quietly, but otherwise provided no resistance. He's learning, I thought to myself with a smile as I walked into the bathroom. I knew he'd eventually get used to the way I treated the pack. The moon goddess wouldn't have paired us together if that wasn't the case.

When I got out of the shower, I pulled on a pair of light wash jeans and a tank top. I brushed my hair and then went back into the bedroom where Ashton was already waiting for me with fresh bandages for my stomach.

I laid down on the bed and pulled my tank top up so that he could see the entire cut. Looking down at it, I could tell it was healing quickly. I smiled, glad that my healing abilities were back. It had been a very long time since I'd healed this fast.

"What's that smile for?" Ashton asked me, gently wiping the cut with an antiseptic-doused cotton ball.

"Just marveling at how fast I'm healing," I told him. "It's been a long time since I've healed this fast."

His face tightened in anger and I immediately felt bad for bringing up my past. I didn't want him thinking about it. I was free now and we could take Max down later. "Nothing like that will ever happen to you again," Ashton promised me, gently lifting my shoulders until I was sittings. He grabbed the gauze roll and began wrapping it around my torso carefully.

I didn't respond to his statement. I knew nothing like that would ever happen to me again. Not only would I make sure it didn't, but my family and packs would also protect me, along with my wonderful new mate.

I smiled gently at him after he taped the gauze in place. "Why don't we head down to breakfast?" I suggested. "And then you can work on your Alpha stuff while I catch up with my family."

"Dane's in charge today," Ashton responded. "We're leaving for your old pack after breakfast."

I grinned at the thought. I was super excited to be able to see them again after all this time. Lisa had probably gotten so much bigger. All of the kids had probably grown at least a foot since I'd last seen them. I wonder if my parents even let everyone know that I was okay before they came here or if my arrival would be a surprise.

Ashton pulled me off the bed by my hand and wrapped an arm around me as we made our way out of his room and downstairs to the kitchen. Everyone else had already beaten us there. My parents and Will were sitting on one side of the table while Aly, Dane and Rick sat on the other side.