#15 Trip

Being in heat was trippy. It was like my conscious mind was watching myself from afar while it had no control over my body.

I now have an immense respect for the female werewolves and an equally passionate disdain for the males.

That said, I couldn't be happier it's over. I don't have to worry about it – for atleast a while.

I lift the map against the ceiling light. Nara and Jenny got it from the little excursion I sent them on before moving back to Red Peak.

It's not an ordinary map. Made from pulping down peacock feathers and lion's mane, the Map of Gorjum is made by the indigenous elves of the Gorgo forest. The inscriptions written on the map, visible only to the map-makers, give it the ability to show the map of any place you want. All you'll have to do is cast a revelarum spell on it.

"There," I say, pointing at the cave symbol near the top of the map. The map currently shows Warlow Caves, a chain of clusters of caves across a barren landscape. "He could be there."

Nara and Jenny look up at the map, leaning over my shoulders.

"You sure," Nara says.

"No. But it's the only place I can think of now. I remember when I was a kid I overheard him telling his friends about going there. He said it'll be a perfect spot to hide."

"But that was a long time ago," Jenny says. "And it was just a conversation. Why would he hide there? Wouldn't it be better to just go to the other dimension?"

I shake my head. "After our visit to Rumens market, I arranged for watchers to keep track of everything happening in the other dimension. They would know if Philip had gone there. Besides, the other dimension is easy to monitor, so Philip would know better than to hide there. He's staying in this world, where we can't use our powers in just about any territory. The Warlow Caves is a neutral land. Nobody claims it. No coven or pack has authority over it." 

"But that place is a wasteland," Nara says. "And, let's say, he really is there for a second. We still won't be able to find where exactly. The place is as large as the Grand Canyon." 

I breathe out, feeling the onset of defeat. Nara pointed out the hurdle I've been trying to cross for the last few hours. I don't know how to pinpoint where he could be in there, and that's if he's there at all. "I know. I'll keep thinking. There should be one way or another to find him."

––––

As I flip the omelette, I watch Sabrina walk into the house with spring on her steps and a grin.

"You look happy," Jenny says from the couch.

Sabrina grins wider. "Yes, I am. We're going on a trip."

"We are?" Nara says.

"Yes. Since you guys are stuck in here, again. It's time we all get some time off."

"By we all, you mean just us four, right?" I ask her. The last time we went with Sabrina, it turned out be a fair sightseeing with his brother and his friends.

"Yes," she says. "Us four... and some guys fr–"

"No," I say, cutting her off. "Your brother is not coming." I don't care about the other guys but I'm not going anywhere with Leon.

"Come on, Cassie. He's also stuck here. We all need this trip."

"Why would he feel stuck in his own pack?"

"Think about it from his point of view. He's right there at the house next door, while his mate is in here – the mate who recently went through an eventful heat. He has to pretend like he doesn't want to just come in here, scoop you in his arms, take you to the bedroom and pound you. Poor guy is as frustrated as hell at this point."

I look at Sabrina dumbfounded. She continues, "But if we all were to go on a trip together where he could be a little closer to you – at a safe distance, of course – he can relax a bit."

I snort. "And why would I want your brother to feel all relaxed and cozy?"

"Don't be mean, Cassie. My brother is not that bad. If it feels you any better Irene would be there, too."

I put down the plate with the omelette I made for Nara on the table in front of Nara loudly before looking at Sabrina. "Why on earth would you think it'll make me feel better that Irene would be there? I swear Sabrina, sometimes I worry what goes on inside that head of yours."

She smiles cheekily. "Since you don't want to have my brother's attention, I thought you would feel better if he was distracted by someone else."

I press my lips tight as Jenny breaks out in a grin.

I'm not going to play into it. I know Sabrina is trying to get a reaction out of me. "Whatever. I don't care if she's there or not."

"Good," she says jumping. "Then we all are going tomorrow. Be ready by eight."

"Wait, what?!" I shout at Sabrina as she turns her back to me and runs out of the house.

"What the heck just happened? When did I agree to the trip?" I ask Nara whose mouth is occupied chewing the omelette.

"It's Sabrina," Jenny says. "You think she cares if we agree or not?"

Jenny is right. That girl is bossier than her brother.

––––

The view of the light sand beach outside the car window makes me smile. The trip may not be a bad idea.

All of our cars park in front of the resort's entrance.

"We're here," Sabrina says, clapping from the driver's seat.

The resort looks expensive. And instead of grouping people, Sabrina booked each of us separate rooms. I've a feeling Leon's paying for all this. But then again, he is a rich Alpha: it wouldn't put even a dent on his wallet.

The first thing I gawk at inside my room is the double-bed. I've never slept on a double bed. The bed in my room back home is single. The bed in my room at the guesthouse at Red Peak is single. The bed I'm looking at now is not single.

So, naturally, I fall over the bed first and draw angel wings with my limbs.

Then I move to the next highlight: the balcony with an unobstructed view to the beach.

I turn to my left and see Jenny and Nara coming out of their rooms into their balconies. They see me and wave. To my right, one room away, I see Jack stepping into his balcony and then the other guys does the same further right.

I turn again to my left and see Sabrina waving to me from the balcony next to Nara's. At the rooms beyond hers, the rest of the girls who've come on this trip step out, including Irene.

My smile vanishes as soon as I see her. Then I realize that everyone is out on their balconies except him. I count the girls and their rooms. All the girls are to my left. Then I count the boys and their rooms. All the guys are to my right. And the only empty balcony to my right, is the one right next to mine.

As if the balcony floor has turned into burning coal, I move back into my room, far away from the balcony.

I'm going to kill Sabrina.