Twenty-Eight

Mulai dari awal

     "Charlie," James prodded gently. 

     She refused to look at either one of them. The classroom was beginning to blur with the liquid that filled her eyes. "The train leaves tomorrow," she whispered, trying to swallow the lump in her throat.  

     "Yeah," Remus agreed, not seeing where her mind was at. 

     "It's Christmas soon," she said, eyes glistening, still not meeting either of the boys' gazes. 

     "Charlie," James said softly. "It's okay." 

     "I spend Christmas..." she hesitated. "I spent Christmas at my dad's." 

     Remus sighed, feeling his own throat grow dry. "Charlie."

     "I," Charlie sighed. "I have nowhere to go, and all of you are leaving tomorrow." Please, don't leave me, she added silently, hating how selfish she felt.

     "Who said we were leaving?" Remus whispered with the ghost of a smile. 

     Charlie sniffed, finally turning to meet his eye. "What?"

     James grinned. "One too many steps behind yet again, Riggs."

      She whipped her head around to look at him. "What are you two idiots going on about?"

      "All of us signed up to stay at Hogwarts this year," Remus informed her with a sly smile. 

     "What?"

     James let out a small laugh. "Do you really still question our friendship with you, even after all this time?" 

      Charlie was surprised to feel her throat begin to thicken and fluid fill her eyes. "Always," she whispered. 

      "Come on, Charlie," Remus slung his arm around her shoulder, hugging her to his side. "Did you really think we'd leave you alone on your last Christmas at Hogwarts?"

     "I mean," she started weakly. "You all have families. I would understand." 

      James grabbed for her hand, and she turned to look at him with glistening eyes. "Family isn't just blood, Charlie. You're family too." 

      "I won't be alone?" She whispered. 

      "Never," Remus answered solemnly. 

      Charlie couldn't find words to voice the feelings that were gravitating within her, so she just nodded. 

      On Christmas day, the group of seven found themselves stumbling down to a late breakfast after a morning of opening gifts. They arrived to the great hall to see a small crowds clustered at the various four tables. They all seated themselves to a nice buffet of breakfast foods. 

      "Do you ever feel old?" Marlene asked, as she placed pieces of french toast onto her plate. 

      "Always," Peter answered seriously, reaching for the eggs. 

      Marlene snorted. "Honestly," she said. "It's our last Christmas at Hogwarts. How did that happen?"

      Lily smirked. "Time flies."

      "When you're having fun," Sirius finished with a false smile.

      Charlie rolled her eyes. "You sound like an old married couple."

      Marlene snorted and nodded her agreement. 

      "It'll be a good day," James declared, scooping a heaping pile of eggs onto his plate. "It's Christmas."