Twenty-Eight

"The best kind of humans are the ones who stay." - R.M. Drake

     "You're avoiding us," James stated simply as if he were discussing the color of the sky, slinging himself into an empty seat next to his ex-girlfriend. 

     Charlie sighed agitatedly looking up from her school work to glare at the wall, refusing to meet his hazel eyes. "Hi to you too, James."

     "Again," Remus added, settling himself into the chair on Charlie's other side with a knowing look. 

     She was surrounded.

     "Oh, good," she said sarcastically. "More people." She finally realized what he said, and she turned her head to stare at Remus. "Again? What do you mean again?"

     Remus gave her a look. "You're avoiding us," he repeated James' words. "Again.

     Her chin raised a fraction. "I haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about." 

     "Bullshit," James accused with a sly grin. "It's your thing. 'Charlie's avoiding everyone again,'" he mocked, as if he were saying it to Sirius or Peter.

     She turned her head to glare at him. "What are you two doing here?" 

     "What are you doing here?" Remus turned the question back to her. 

     Charlie knew exactly what she was doing here. She was tucked away in an empty classroom on a Friday afternoon with tempting sunlight streaming in through the windows of the far wall. She was using the empty room and the isolation to study for her N.E.W.T.s.

     Charlie had grown bored of the library, and it had become crowded with first years who thought they were busy. Besides, the windows in this classroom over looked the Quidditch pitch which was covered in a blanket of snow. She could spread out all of her papers and books here and not worry about noises or Madam Pince yelling at her. 

      But, it offered more than just a nice study space for Charlie. Something had been eating away at her mind for days now. She couldn't face any of her friends because she was ashamed. Just the thought of her selfishness brought heat to the surface of her cheeks. She could hide away here. It was solitude. 

     "I needed a place to study," she sighed, finally answering Remus' question. 

     James snorted. "Liar."

     Charlie huffed. "We're getting off topic. How did you find me?" 

     Remus smirked, wordlessly holding up the Marauder's Map, fanning it in front of his face. 

     "That thing should be illegal," she spit with narrowed eyes. She wrinkled her nose, thinking of how it violated her privacy. 

     "But, it's not," James said in a sing-song voice. 

     She rolled her eyes. "It's creepy." 

    "It's brilliant," he countered. 

    "Okay," Remus interrupted, looking slightly annoyed. "You two are doing that James and Charlie thing where you argue until you nearly rip the other's head off." 

    "We don't do that," Charlie said weakly, not liking the look in Remus' accusing eyes. 

    James made a face. "We kinda do." 

     "Why are you avoiding us, Charlie?" Remus demanded, not wanting to hear another round of arguments between the two. 

     "I'm not," she sighed weakly, keeping her eyes from meeting his. A lump was growing in her throat, and she feared that tears would betray her if she looked at either of her friends.