Chapter 51

(Y/n)'s POV

The various staff members in the office shot me looks of awe and jealousy as I continued to type away at the computer. Tsumugi offered a small smile to which I returned with a smile of my own.

Was this what it felt like to be at the centre if attention? I hardly saw myself as someone with an interesting or powerful aura nor did I find myself as attractive as the celebrities one'd see on TV. A soft sigh left my lips.

A headache started to form as I continued to work. I knew I was putting too much stress on myself but I would be worth nothing if I didn't. I needed to do this myself.

A soft whisper in my ear startled me from my thoughts, yet I managed to conceal my surprise through a mask of neutrality. Iori met my gaze with a slight smirk.

"What are you doing here?"
"I came to get you, (L/n)-san."
"For what?"
"Takanashi-san, can I borrow (L/n)-san for the day?"
"Sure, go ahead. Have fun, (Y/n)."

I allowed the male to take my hand as we headed towards the elevator and outside the building. Iori smiled upon seeing my confused expression. I tugged at his hand, demanding an answer as to why he had dragged me away from work.

"It was both Nanase-san and Sunohara-san's idea. Your brother mentioned that he was worried about you, but I don't think he meant for them to put much thought into it."
"So what? You guys wanted me to hang out with you simply because my brother said he was worried?"
"Yeah, basically."

I immediately pulled Iori to a stop. The male followed my gaze. Father stood opposite us with the same menacing grin plastered on his face. I acknowledged him with a slight nod and started walking.

His hand shot up as we went past and grasped my arm. My grip on Iori's hand tightened. I didn't want him to witness everything father had to say to me. He didn't need to know my family life.

"Ignoring your father now?" he asked.
"You've never seen me as a daughter."
"You better come back, (Y/n). Those threats before weren't enough to stop you. I have no problem doing something worse."
"Just face it, father. Nothing you say or do will make me change my mind."
"You insolent brat. You're lucky I even bothered to raise you."
"'Lucky'? Give me a break."
"Are you part of that idol group she manages?"
"Yes sir..." replied Iori.
"She's not who she seems. Don't let that pretty face control you."

He abruptly took his leave. I began walking again, this time not bothering to conceal the fire burning behind my eyes. Father was always showing up at the most inconvenient times...

Iori called my name, yet I chose to ignore it. Only when he halted his feet did I look back to look at him, his jaw set and his gaze searching mine.

"What? Feeling doubtful? In a way, he's not wrong, Iori. Don't-"
"Why...are you hiding behind a mask again? Why can't you just be you?"

My mouth drew into a thin line. It was an impossibility. I've already shown most of the real me...but father was right. I could very well hide behind a mask if it meant hiding my secrets and concealing the inevitable truth.

I felt his grip loosen. I pulled my hand away, avoiding his gaze as I did so. Someone shouted out my name, making me look up. I smiled gratefully as both Tenn and Ryuu waved their hands.

"Did something happen?" Tenn asked cautiously.
"...nothing. Anyway, what are you two doing here?"
"We were out shopping. Ryuu was thinking of making dinner for us."
"Are you guys busy now?"
"Not really?"

I gripped Ryuu's long sleeve like a small child, feeling him smile as I pouted and looked away. Tenn trailed behind to walk beside Iori as I walked in silence alongside Ryuu.

I could see the question on the edge of his lips but he simply offered a kind smile once I looked into his gentle eyes. He slipped his hand over mine and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

IDOLiSH7's dorms came into view as I went up to ring the doorbell. Riku answered the door with a smile on his face. His gaze almost faltered once he noticed his brother standing just behind me.

"Tenn-nii?"
"Come on, you can have the family reunion inside."

I let go of Ryuu's hand as soon as Tamaki used me as a shield to hide from Mitsuki's wrath. The short male had rolled up some newspaper and was chasing Tamaki around with his makeshift weapon.

"I'm sorry, Mikki! I won't eat any more king pudding until lunchtime!" Tamaki apologised.
"That's what you said an hour ago, and what do I see you doing in your room?! Your whole desk is covered with empty pudding jars!" Mikki said angrily.
"Hey Mitsuki, it smells really good in here. What're you making?"

I hid my hands behind my back and gestured for the tall male to leave. Mitsuki turned around at that moment and motioned for me to follow him into the kitchen.

Gaku-nii raised an eyebrow as I entered. I burst out laughing as I set my eyes upon the pink, flower-covered apron he was wearing. He glared at my laughing self before passing the spatula into my hands and putting the apron over my head.

He was out of here before I could even get a word out of my mouth. Mitsuki tied the string around my waist as I hurriedly rushed to the pot Gaku-nii had so carelessly abandoned.

"Momo made your brother help with the cooking because he lost a game," Mitsuki explained.
"I'm sorry, he knows nothing about cooking."
"Don't worry, he learns pretty quick although I could tell he hated the apron the moment he laid his eyes on the thing Momo had chosen."
"*laughs* Sounds like you guys had fun."
"...thanks to you."
"Me?"
"If it wasn't for you, we wouldn't have even imagined meeting Trigger or Re:vale...so thank you."

I stared at the male in shock. Warmth spread in my chest as I smiled with sincerity. Mitsuki grinned as we both set to work making lunch.

But Mitsuki...I think I should really be thanking you guys...