Chapter 37

(Y/n)'s POV

The stylists sat around me while I was on my break. Their consistent gossiping was enough to drown out all the other noises in the background. I hummed once in a while to respond nonchalantly until one comment caught my attention.

"Hey, the boys that came with (L/n) are rather attractive, aren't they?"
"Yeah, they seem different from Trigger and Re:vale but in a good way. You know what I mean?"
"Yeah, totally. I wonder who they are. Ne (L/n), are they also models in training like you?"
"No, today's actually my day off. They're my friends. I only came because Gaku asked me for a favour."
"You're close with Gaku-san, aren't you?"
"Well, I wouldn't say-"
"Introduce us, won't you?"

I looked up as Iori and Riku came over, the chatter immediately dying down to quiet gasps and shrills of excitement. Iori looked at me, seeming as if he wanted to say something but thought better of it and stopped himself.

Riku sat down beside me, smiling as the stylists greeted him. The women around me scooted closer, uncomfortably so. Riku masked his nervousness with a carefree smile while Iori remained as neutral as ever.

"I-I actually came over to talk to (Y/n)-" Riku began.
"How old are you? Are you dating anyone?"
"Uh-"
"I'm sorry, but we'll be taking our leave."
"Aww but (L/n)..."
"Sorry."

I offered an apologetic smile before leading the two away by the sleeve. The youngest, around my age, secretly slipped a piece of paper into Iori's hand as we left.

A stab of jealousy rocked my heart. Why was I jealous? His personal life had nothing to do with me, and especially not...his love life. I shut my eyes but for a brief moment to force away the stubborn pain growing in my heart.

"What's that?" Riku asked as Iori opened the paper.
"A girl passed this to me when we left," he replied.
"*smirks* Getting love letters already?"
"*blush* I-it's nothing like that."
"What does it have on it? Her number? Address?"
"Both."
"Oh, so what are you gonna do?"

Iori gripped the paper in his hand, wrinkling the material as he shoved it in his pocket.

"Go for it if you're interested."

Why did I just say that? Why was I making it worse for myself? Ignoring these questions, I faced the male with an encouraging smile and playfully nudged his arm.

He simply stared at me, showing the briefest hint of uncertainty. Riku immediately teased him about his uneventful love life, yet his eyes still remained on my face.

Iori's POV

Did she really mean it? Were these heartwarming feelings...just one-sided? I had come to the sudden realisation that I was beginning to fall in love with her.

From those short teases to times when we were just practicing, I found myself anticipating every moment with her. Yet she did not seem to feel the same...

I resisted the urge to pull her closer as she curiously peered into my eyes. She was untouchable. She really was her brother's sister. After getting prepared for the shooting, I realised that she lived in a different world from us.

"I'm gonna get some drinks. You guys want anything?" asked Riku.
"No, thank you," (Y/n) replied.
"What about you, Iori?"
"I'm fine with whatever."
"Okay."

I jumped a little whilst (Y/n) placed a hand on my forehead and the other on her own. My heart thumped uncontrollably. My eyes drifted to her lips as she bit them.

"You don't seem to have a fever. Are you okay?" she asked.

She took her hand away, leaving me wanting more of her warmth. I ignored the stubborn, stupid urge to kiss her and muttered the words that I had wanted to say to her.

"You just look beautiful..."
"What was that?"
"Yo (Y/n)-chan," Momo greeted.

I was grateful for Momo's intervention, silently breathing a sigh of relief. (Y/n) risked a glance towards me but I had already averted my gaze from her, finding it too hard to focus on her for any longer.

"Ne, you're really good at that," Momo said to her.
"At what?" she asked.
"Acting. I was surprised when Gaku asked you to do the part."
"Well, I wouldn't even be here if he hadn't asked."
"Gaku really cares about you, doesn't he?"
"You guys talking about me?"

We turned to see the members of Trigger come over with Yuki. I caught (Y/n) smile, happily greeting everyone that had come over. Once again, I forced myself to take on a mask of neutrality.

"Oh, it's you," commented Gaku.
"I'm sorry, I didn't introduce myself last time."
"No need. (Y/n) has been talking about you guys at home. You're that Iori, right?"
"Y-yeah..."
"Oi, don't be so rude," (Y/n) scolded her brother.
"Hey, I'm back," Riku exclaimed.

He tensed as he noticed Tenn standing beside (Y/n). She casually draped her arms around their shoulders, pulling the two closer. Tenn blushed ever so slightly while Riku happily greeted his brother.

The girl gave Riku a small wink before feigning ignorance. Gaku's gaze softened significantly as it landed on her. I found myself staring, wondering just how close they were.

"They've lost some of the recordings," said Trigger's manager.
"What? But there's still a lot of filming left to do," Tenn replied.
"Man, how are we gonna fit this into our schedule?" Momo asked.
"Which parts have they lost? Why?" asked (Y/n).
"Someone spilt coffee over the system. It's only the minor bits and some harmonising parts."
"Let me see their schedule-"
"Let us help," Riku said.
"Riku, this isn't a game," Tenn reprimanded.
"I know it isn't! I'm well aware of that. Please, if it will let me get through to you even a little. I know what I'm saying is out of line and ridiculous but-"
"We're professionals-"
"Just because you're professionals doesn't mean we can't be! Don't take the burden by yourself. We can help."

(Y/n) cracked a small smile.

"I'm fine with it," Gaku exclaimed.
"Same here," replied Ryuu.
"No problems here," Momo added.
"Then the extra paperwork..." Yuki pointed out.
"I'll take care of it. Also, I'm gonna be straightforward with you all. IDOLiSH7 will use this as an opportunity to get publicity."
"...ha, what an opportunistic businesswoman you are," commented Gaku.
"(Y/n)-"
"Hate me if you want. I promised that I would help you reach the top. All you need to do is put in the effort."

(Y/n)...why was she bearing such a heavy burden by herself?