Chapter XXII ✠ Pains and Pins

Start from the beginning

"No, no, no!" Una cried out, gently pulling up Frey's pale hair to reveal the blood slowly seeping out of his mouth on her stomach.

"Frey, don't you do this to me, not now!" She cried, sitting up, disregarding her sprained leg ankle.

She pulled her leg away, a jolt of pain coming through again. She tried to stand up but found it very difficult with her ankle. She was able to balance, and she picked Frey up by his collar and began to drag him across the ground. She could see the path in the woods, so far away, but Frey had to live.

"Come on!" Una screeched as she tried to pull him across the log.

"Gwen!" Una cried out to her horse but had become even more twisted in the fallen branches and trees.

"Gods, please help me!" Una cried out.

"Please, whatever I have done, don't allow Frey to die! He is innocent! Let me die instead, let him live!" Una pleaded as she collapsed on her knees and cried in her hands, letting go of Frey.

It was as if Cernunnos, the God of the wild, had come to save her in her lament.

"Are you alright!?" A melodic voice rang out in the distance.

"Please, help me!" Una cried out, looking around from where the voice called.

"I see you. I'm coming, hold on!" The voice reassured us it grew louder.

"Thank you!" Una cried in relief.

She knew she could move no further. She physically could not move. Her ankle was twisted, and it would be impossible to drag Frey through the woods.

"A lady!" Una heard a voice behind her.

She turned around and was met by a boy's gaze, no older than ten, who was peering down at them. His face went pale, and the soft curls of his dark hair bounced in the light wind of the forest. You could hear a pin drop. The boy was terrified.

"My friend is hurt. Could you get some help for me please, young man?" Una asked softly as she tried to turn.

"None to worry, I will fetch my eldest sister!" He assured her.

"Wait!" Una cried.

"I promise, I'm coming back!" The boy said and sprinted off.

As the boy ran away, Una felt tears begin to swelter in her eyes. She couldn't believe it. She had been saved. She and Frey both were going to make it. She said a silent prayer and thanked the Gods for their hand in saving them.

"Me, lady!?" Una could hear someone quickly approaching.

"Me, lady!" A sweet-sounding voice came behind Una.

Una turned around and met the round dark blue eyes of a young woman standing next to her.

"It's him. He's going to die if his wounds are not sealed!" Una urged her.

"I shall tend to him, none to worry!" She assured Una.

"Please take him and go. I cannot walk, but do not wait on me. I am fine!" Una insisted.

The girl looked around as if she didn't know what to do.

"He is very light so that you can drag him easily," Una said as she tried to stand up.

"No, miss, you mustn't! Take your boots off, and I'll come back for you." She assured Una.

"Thank you...err." Una hesitated.

"Llewelyn, miss." She smiled and looked over at Frey.

The girl walked over to him and was able to drag him by his tunic and cloak. Una watched as she was able to slide him over the logs and branches. She could hear the whinny of a horse nearby. She knew all would be alright.