Chapter Eleven: You're Cute When You're All Flustered {Ellie}

Chapter Eleven: You're Cute When You're Flustered {Ellie}

Housekeeper at the Blackford Plaza Hotel?

Nope.

Babysitting two ten-year-old boys from 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. Monday-Friday?

Absolutely not.

What the hell? Am I on the wrong page or something?

Sighing, I exit out of the tab, opening a new one and starting a new job search that's more my type. Housekeeping and babysitting must've been jobs I was looking for when I started college... God knows that's the last time I've logged into this account.

I create a new account, upload my new resume, and start a new search, ignoring the nervous feeling inside at starting a new job. The last job I had didn't end so well. Working at the Dairy Queen beside the campus wasn't exactly a bright plan, especially when Keenan had told me I wasn't going to work while I was with him.

I don't want any of those frat boy fuckers staring at you. You're mine, he had told me. Quit the job. Now, Eleanor.

Sighing as the memory leaves a bad taste in my mouth, I shake my head. Stomach turning with unease, I try to focus back on the computer. Anything really works for right now, but I don't want to deal with kids right now, and I definitely don't want to clean up after anyone. People can be nasty sometimes.

The screen fills with job openings around me, ranging from bank teller to plumber to teaching openings at a local high school. The last one would be ideal seeing as my degree is in English, but unfortunately, I'm not done with school just yet.

Just one more year, Ellie. One more.

Suddenly, the front door bursts open and Sebastian comes to a stop as he moves inside. His eyes find me as I look to his left, where Cole stares at me strangely. His eyes are unfocused, yet they still rest on me, staring for a moment before he lets his head hang, rubbing his eyes.

"What are you still doing up, E?"

Cole's head snaps upward, eyes wide as he looks at me again. I raise a brow.

"Being disappointed," I grin, "these job searches aren't going well." It's hard to focus on Sebastian as Cole stares at me heavily, his gray eyes raking over every surface of my body as I stand up. With an arm around Sebastian to help him stand, Cole almost looks...not mean.

"Hey, grab some water and crackers, would you? Cole's pretty fucked up and I want to sober him up a little bit before I go to bed." I nod, placing my laptop on the couch and heading for the kitchen. I grab the crackers and water, getting enough for Sebastian, too.

As I re-enter the livingroom, Sebastian's letting Cole drop to the couch, the large man leaning his head back against the cushion as he sighs. Sebastian looks up at me, before his jaw sets. I don't have the time to ask if he's okay before he turns greenish, his hand coming to his mouth as he takes off for the bathroom.

The air grows a little tense as I realize it's just Cole and I.

Instead of looking at me, he holds my laptop, eyes peering over the jobs listed on the screen. I take measured steps forward, feeling my heart pounding in my chest. As I near Cole, it gets worse, speeding up and slamming against my chest.

God, why am I nervous right now? And why is this man always prying into stuff that isn't his?

I resist the urge to snatch my laptop from him.

"Here," I say, handing him the water and crackers and taking a seat on the couch beside him. He takes them from me, fingers brushing mine as he does so.

"Thanks, blondie." His nickname for me sends a jolt through my body, bringing heat to my cheeks.

"You're welcome," I give him a closed-lipped smile.

"So what are you still doing up? It's late." I nod, agreeing with him.

"I'm doing a job search. Not all of us can be cage fighters," I tell him, knowing he and Sebastian make plenty from each fight. If I weren't a little chicken, I might actually try to get in with them. I have the feeling I'd be too scared to get back into the ring after one punch though.

"Come on," Cole drones, looking at me with a playful glint in his eyes. "You'd make a great fighter. You definitely have the body for it."

I freeze, Cole's gray eyes holding me captive as I stare at him.

Wait... Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Cole's eyes trail down my body before he clenches his jaw, turning his head back toward my laptop still in his hands.

"I don't know whether to be offended or flattered," I mutter, raising an arm to tuck a stray piece of hair behind into my low bun. A new thought strikes me, and I almost cringe.

I probably look terrible right now.

With that thought, I sigh.

"I'm going to go to bed, I'm pretty tired." Cole nods, his eyes already closing. I can't fight the smile that creeps onto my lips. "You want a blanket or pillow?" Nodding again, Cole's breaths even out slightly as he rests his head on the back of the couch.

I quickly grab a blanket and pillow from the closet in the hallway, making my way back to the sleeping man on the couch. Silent and eyes closed, his breathing even as he stays asleep. His jawline is clenched even as he rests, his body still taut and muscles bulging as well.

His pink, slightly-chapped lips part slightly.

"Christ, just go kiss him already, Ellie."

Jumping out of my skin, I spin around to face a smiling, exhausted Sebastian, his drunken eyes alight with teasing manners.

His words ring loud in my head and bring a blush to my cheeks.

"What are you talking about?"

"Don't try that, El. You were gawking at the man. Hell, if I hadn't walked in I bet you'd be snuggling up next to him right now." I roll my eyes, taking my eyes away from his.

"I-I wasn't-"

"I'm kidding, E. You're cute when you're all flustered." Sebastian grins at me, before glancing at the items in my hands. "You should go to bed. I'll take care of this. He can be a bit cranky when he's drunk."

Nodding, I let Sebastian take the items from me and then head for my room, taking the laptop from the cushion I was sitting on. I head toward my room and before long, I'm sleeping just as hard as the man downstairs.

__________