Persephone

My eyes flutter open when I feel Hades shift in the bed.  His warmth is so comforting, so welcoming, so homely.

I want to wake up like this every morning.

"How's your stomach?" I ask him, my voice hoarse because I've just woken up.

Hades runs a hand through his silky dark hair and turns to me. He has an evident lazy eye and he seems so refreshed. "It's beginning to feel better, but it's going to be some time before it's healed."

I smile, sinking back into the soft pillows. "I'm glad that it is feeling better." Popping open one eye, I study him and how well-rested he seems for once. "It seems as though you've slept properly."

He sighs with a playful smile crawling onto his lips. "Because you were here with me."

My cheeks warm. "Oh."

Hades steps out of the bed, stretches, and cringes when stretching strains his injuries. "Would you like some breakfast?"

"Yes!" I squeal, practically stumbling out of the bed. "Let me clean my teeth, first."

Hades chuckles and opens his bedroom door. His hair is adorably messy and he looks so very relaxed and optimistic. This side of Hades gives me a warm, comforting feeling, like being submerged in warm sunlight while standing in a wide, open meadow with scented flowers. "I'll be in the dining hall, then, unless you need my assistance getting down the stairs. Considering your... injuries."

I wave him off. "I will be perfectly fine, Hades."

With that, he leaves me alone in his room. I rock back and forth on my heels, scanning his large bedroom filled with expensive, luxurious furniture and decorations. His walls are velvety red and his floors are cobblestone covered with silk rugs.

His canopy bed remains unmade, but I make my way to his personal bathroom. I almost gasp when I enter it; it's the most luxurious bathroom I've ever laid eyes upon. My mother's idea of a bathroom is a couple of buckets with water, but this is incredible.

Hades has a large marble bathtub that could easily fit two people and shelves of soaps and oils, among many other amenities. 

I clean my teeth and try to calm my knotted hair down with my fingers as I stare at my reflection in the mirror. My forehead has a small cut, but it'll heal quickly. I also notice that my eyes have gone back to their emerald-green shade complete with the little red specks.

Sneering at myself in the mirror, I say, "How long has it been since I've bathed?"

Not knowing the exact answer to my own question, I rush to Hades's closet to find an extra chiton to wear. Hades probably won't pay any mind to me wearing his clothes just this once. I choose the smallest chiton I can find and wrap it around my body, and gods, is it soft. He must get his chitons specially made of the finest silks in Greece. This is wonderfully comfortable.

For extra measure, and also because I'm sure I still don't smell too pleasant, I apply some of Hades's scented oils to my skin to freshen myself up. I'm sure he won't mind, right?

 After this, I start to make my way to the dining hall to meet Hades for breakfast. On my way, I'm smoothing out the black chiton I'm wearing. I've never worn dark clothing before; this is new. I love it. There's a slight skip in my steps as confidence and joy collide. 

Hades is seated at the dining table, leaning back and staring up at the hanging chandeliers. I giggle to myself; he's probably been waiting for me to arrive and he's growing hungry since I've taken so long.

I start walking towards a seat and Hades finally notices me. His eyes flick down to meet mine and they widen when he takes me in.

"Persephone," he whispers in awe.