2018 Christmas Special

Start from the beginning

Alisabeth leaned on the wall as she fully entered the room, crossing her arms slightly as she frowned. "One of you needs to tell me what's going on," she spoke clearly. Her voice didn't have to beg to be heard, it just was. Alisabeth looked at the man she loved, "I vote Gabriel."

Gabriel swallowed hard, "It's a long story."

Alisabeth held her hands out to her side, "Chicken's roasting. I've got time." She looked to the girl, stepping forward slightly, "I'm Alisabeth, by the way. You can call me Al."

The girl smiled slightly. Lips pressed together, like she meant kindness, but also knew that Alisabeth had heard her fighting with Gabriel, "Leila," she replied.

"Nice to meet you, Leila," Alisabeth smiled. She looked at Gabriel again, pressing her lips together as if she were trying to fight the words that wanted to escape. "Look, before you tell me this long story, I gotta ask..."

Gabriel swallowed hard once again, "Anything."

"Is... Is she a Nephilim?" Alisabeth asked. She cleared her throat, running her finger quickly along her cupid's bow like she wanted to wipe the words away from her lips, but also wanted to keep herself from puking. "Is she... your Nephilim?"

Gabriel scoffed, "What? Alis, no. Not in a million years."

"Can I ask what a Nephilim is?" Leila asked, raising her eyebrows.

"You're sure?" Alisabeth asked, "I mean, you have to see the similarities between you."

"Did you give birth to her, Alis?" Gabriel asked, raising his eyebrows.

"Don't think I'd be introducing myself to someone I gave birth to, Gabe," Alisabeth replied, drawing in a deep breath. Saying the word Nephilim had sucked the air from her lungs. She knew Gabriel was immortal, that she was just one of the many likely to have been with him over his millennia. Despite her knowledge, it still hurt her to think that Gabriel had been with anyone else when she was right there.

Gabriel smiled sadly, "Then she's not mine, Al." Alisabeth looked at the ground, trying to hide her smile, and her relief.

"Um..." Leila raised her hand, "Nephilim? Definition? Are you guys calling me names in foreign languages?"

Alisabeth laughed, "A Nephilim is the offspring of an angel and a human. You and Gabriel act so much alike, look so much alike, I had to ask."

"And you—" Leila looked at Gabriel, her eyes wide, "You reacted like that? Jesus, don't sound so ungrateful. You'd be lucky to have me as your Niffler."

"Nephilim," Alisabeth corrected, smiling. "And damn right he'd be lucky."

Leila crossed her arms and stuck her tongue out at Gabriel, smiling at her triumph. Alisabeth laughed as she watched Gabriel's face drop.

"Excuse you, Mateo," Gabriel replied, trying to hide his smile.

"Suck it up, archangel," Alisabeth smiled. "You'll get premature wrinkles if you scrunch yourself up anymore."

"I look good for being millennia old, thank you very much," Gabriel said, unable to hide his smile from Alisabeth.

Alisabeth chuckled, looking back to Leila—who looked mortified; like she'd just seen her parents making out, or worse. "Sweetie, how about you go get some different clothes on? Wash up a bit before dinner while Gabriel tells me the story?" Alisabeth pointed in the direction of her staircase, "Up the stairs, first door to the left is my room, you can help yourself to anything in there."