Chapter 18: Guilty

Three weeks had passed since the night of homecoming. November set in as the air grew colder and the skies, grayer. Damp and depressing weather as usual, but Dawn could never be happier. On Monday morning, she pulled into the school parking lot sitting in the passenger seat of Rain's Porsche. Ever since they started a relationship, Rain took her everywhere and anywhere she asked. Spending as much time together as possible became the norm. 

Having arrived almost thirty minutes early for classes, Rain unbuckled his seat belt as he turned to his right to face Dawn. She had already been leaning over to his side, resting her head against the edge of the seat while gazing upon him. He smiled at her, softly brushing her bangs away from her face. She closed her eyes as he reached around her waist and pulled his face toward hers.

Rain teased her and gently pecked her soft pink lips several times, prompting a light chuckle out of Dawn. Soon she placed her hand on the back of his neck, running her fingers through his silky black hair, inviting him closer. Cold as his body was, Dawn could feel the warmth in his affection and melted in his arms. Each breath, every touch, only made her long for more until Rain's lips finally parted from hers. 

For several seconds, he stopped to observe Dawn, as if he were soaking in the moment. It was something Rain did often, as much as it embarrassed her and caused her to feel self-conscious. Admittedly, Dawn loved having his undivided attention and thoughts. It made her feel like the only girl in the world. She giggled as he proceeded down her neck and upper chest, kissing every inch of her skin.

Rain smiled at her. "I love you, Dawn."

"I love you too." She brushed her bangs back. "It's surreal to say that to you now. When I first saw you in class that day, I never thought we'd be together."

"I did. From the moment I walked in the room."

"Ooh, are you saying it was love at first sight then?"

"Maybe...it was destiny. They say everything happens for a reason."

"True. I'm sorry you had to wait so long for it."

Rain laughed. "Finding you was well worth the wait."

"Rain," she said clasping his hand. "I've been thinking, and I know I probably shouldn't be thinking so far ahead this soon, but I can't imagine us not being together. I wish I could be an esper too. Then we could be like this forever."

"Do you truly mean that?" he asked. "Would you spend eternity with me?"

Dawn nodded. "Of course, I would. It's the only way, you know? Otherwise one day, you'll still be the perfect Rain and meanwhile I'll be a graying old lady."

"And I'd love you just the same."

"You say that now. I just don't want this feeling to end. Could you, Rain? If you wanted, could you turn me into an esper? So that I can be half human and half demon?"

His eyes drifted downward. "There is a way that I can transform you. But what becomes of you is not an esper..."

"Really? What is it?"

"Another time," said Rain. "Forgive me, Dawn. I don't want to allow myself to succumb to temptation. For now, let's just enjoy the time we have together."

"Sorry, I shouldn't have brought it up. It's just one of those thoughts..." Dawn looked out the window to her right. She immediately spotted Warren riding up to the back entrance of the main building on an electric scooter. He had screeched to a halt just before colliding with a faculty member, who quickly proceeded to scold him. "Oh, that's right. I have a meeting with V.A.S.E. today. Last week's was cancelled. We might be going back in today."