Chapter Nine

09. The One Thing I Can't Do

Magdelena was shocked at the pain in her chest, even more, shocked as the red ghost of Morgause appeared in the chambers of Gaius - who had left to check on a patient. Magdelena stood walking forward as Morgause smiled at her, "You don't seem pleased to see I have finally died," she says and Magdelena stares at her, "I figured you would throw a celebration when you learned I was dead."

"I would but we both know what today is," Magdelena snaps at her, "I can only assume your death is for some reason. For Morgana no doubt."

"You'll soon find out," Morgause says moving forward to cup the cheek of Death who swatted her hand away, "I just wished to see you once more before I left."

"You won't fight me?" Magdelena asks staring at the woman, "Then leave I have nothing to say to you that I haven't already said. So leave Morgause, I'm done with you."

"You will remember me won't you?" Morgause asks reaching out once more this time Magdelena grabbed her wrist, Morgause struggled against the burn and strength of the woman.

"No. I am going to let you fade from my memories like pulling a sliver form your thumb. A dull ache before it's like nothing happened," she snaps at the ghost, "From this point on Morgause you won't even be a bad memory, you will be nothing."

Magdelena released the priestess' wrist and turned her back, she stayed like that until she knew Morgause's ghost had left before finally allowing the tears to fall down her face. That damned woman had caused so much pain and trouble for Magdelena yet she would be lying to say the death of her didn't hurt her slightly.

Magdelena was shocked turning to see Cailleach standing in the chambers, "Cailleach what are you doing here?" Magdelena asks, "Is Baxton acting up?" 

"Two sorceresses have ripped a hole in the veil," the lady says her voice was like wood cracking after being hit by lightning, "the Dorocha have been freed."

"Morgana and Morgause, I should have figured her death tonight was no accident," Magdelena says staring at the woman, "What does this mean? Why have you come to inform me? The Dorocha hate me and I have no control over them."

"That is why they may wish you harm, they can't kill you but if one touches you," Cailleach's warning made Magdelena grip her hair in both fear and frustration, "I shall return and send Baxton to you."

"Keep him for now, he may be able to help keep them back for a bit," she says as the figure disappears she begins to pace around the room, unable to sit or stay in one spot for too long. Her mind racing with everything, she was worried it was a price to open the veil but the price to close it was the same and she was fearful. 

She slumped into a seat unable to stand any longer so many things happening all at once, she propped her chin on her hand, her arm balanced on the table. Things raced through her head as she tried to piece things together, she was once more powerless to help save Camelot and she hoped Merlin was able to solve it without her help. 

She suddenly bolts up, "Merlin," she says before running through the halls toward the feast she enters the hall, Merlin makes eye contact with her before the pitcher falls from his hand and he falls to the floor, "Merlin!" she cries running forward the knights staring at her with slightly warry looks as they remembered the incident a year ago. 

She quickly kneels down beside her brother a few of the knights who were close to Merlin surged forward, "Sir Lancelot please carry him to Gaius," she begs the man who nods grabbing the serving boy and following Magdelena as she walked from the room ignoring the stares and whispers. 

They arrive at the chambers and Merlin is placed down his whole body shaking as Gaius looks him over being as fast as he could, "What happened?" the knight asks the physician who looks taken back at the boy's condition.

"I don't know," Gaius admits sadly, "I've never felt anyone so cold before."

"Will he be alright?" Magdelena asks at the same time Sir Lancelot asks making her smile sadly at the man knowing he too cared for Merlin.

"I'll need Hawthorne to improve the blood flow. And blankets," Gaius says before adding, "Lots of blankets." 

Magdelena stares at Lancelot who nodded, "We can go grab blankets, I just grabbed a bunch of new herbs the other day," she says motioning to the rack of herbs she had gathered, "There should be a nice supply of Hawthrone there."

Lancelot and Magdelena head out of the chambers splitting up Lancelot decides to go grab blankets from the unused chambers while Magdelena runs to find the extra blankets Camelot always had. Arriving back at the chambers Gaius chuckled at the number of blankets the two had gathered, but they quickly covered Merlin - who was laying on his bed shivering still. Lancelot took his leave having to go tend to his knight duties. 

Magdelena was lost in thought sitting on her bed, while Gaius stood at his table grinding something. She heard the door creak and watched Merlin walk out of his room wrapped in a blanket looking rather cold even in the rather warm room. 

She listened to Merlin explain what had happened while Gaius and him tried to figure it out, she stands and walks to Merlin wrapping him in her arms. She does her best to rub his arms to warm him but while they speak, she says nothing knowing the truth, the veil had been broken and nothing but another blood sacrifice would close it now that it has been opened.

"Why are you so quiet, Maggie?" Gaius asks staring at her, "I hoped you would have some idea about what happened."

"I fear for once Gaius I am unsure of what is happening," she says lying to the father-figure made her heart hurt but if he knew the truth, him or Merlin, there would only be one course of action that Merlin would even think about taking, "You should go to sleep, we should all be rested. Who knows what is coming out way."