I paused for a moment in the hallway as I attempted to soothe away the feeling of terror with calm breathing.
I started off down the hallway, moving faster and faster as I felt tears prickling my eyes again. Eventually I was running up the stairs, tears slipping down my cheeks. I kept my head downturned, hoping that my hair would conceal my face as I ran.
I reached my chambers and rushed inside slamming the door behind me and sinking to the floor. I sobbed hard as I clutched my head with my shaking hands. This was not happening. I had a plan. Everything was going so well. How could they do this to me? I thought of my father's guilty eyes and clenched my fists. Coward. And then there was Gushiken-sama, a man I had looked up to my whole life, I trained in martial arts because of him. He was my hero growing up. I shook my head angrily and my Uncle's face finally entered my mind. That cold, heartless bastard. Was this the price I paid for being his favourite? More tears slipped down my cheeks. I could not accept this. Yet at that moment I did not feel strong, brave or proud. I felt lost, betrayed and alone.
The door to a connecting room opened and my maid servant came bustling in with my bags and fresh towels. She placed them on my bed and I hoped she would leave again without noticing me but she didn't. She came into the room I was in and immediately spotted me hunched up on the floor. She rushed to my side and reached out to me but I jumped up and shrunk away from her. 'Seina-sama what on earth is the matter? Are you hurt? Should I call someone?'
My eyes widened in horror and my head shot up 'No! I'm fine. Please leave me alone Rin-san. Please.' My voice broke slightly as I desperately swiped at my tears. She reached for me again but I pushed her away, my voice a tangled scream. 'Get out!'
She left after that, almost falling in her haste as she bowed out of the room.
Then I moved to my bed and curled up and cried. Tomorrow I would have to be brave but at that moment I just wanted to cry.
A couple of minutes later I heard the door creaking again and I looked up to reaffirm my wishes for the maid to leave me alone. However, when I looked up it was my mother who was standing in my room. She smiled gently at me and as I met her warm gaze my composure broke once again and a choked sob escaped my throat as she sat and I threw my arms around her waist, head buried in her lap. She stroked my head and made hushing noises as I cried. I had always been so independent, I didn't realise how much I still needed my Mum. Eventually I pulled away and looked up at her 'Did you know?'
Her eyes hardened slightly. 'No. Not until your father came and told me now. I was just heading here actually when I bumped into Rin-san. She was very worried about you.'
I squeezed my eyes shut. 'I was awful to her.'
'Nonsense. She understands. Everyone gets like that when they're upset and although you may protest Seina, you're only human.'
I offered my mother a shaky smile. 'I know.' She sighed and held me tightly in her arms, I felt like a child but I didn't care.
'How could they do this to me Mum? Why is it not my choice? Don't they care?' I sobbed again. 'Dad knew and he didn't even tell me. He wouldn't look at me! I don't want to get married! I don't want another man in my life that I have to challenge and prove myself to! I can't do this...'
'Hush now sweetie. It's ok. They care about you very much. We all do.' I made a small noise that fell somewhere between a scoff and a sob. She pulled back and looked at me dead in the eye 'Seina. Listen to me. I love you. Your father loves you. Your Uncle loves you also, the two of you have a special bond, he adores you.'
'Not enough.' I muttered under my breath.
'He's just trying to do what he thinks is best for you, the family and the company.'
'Not prioritised in that order.' I shot back bitterly.
She sighed again. 'Seina, you have to understand he does love you. He has a lot of different and conflicting responsibilities which he must deal with, when you're older you will understand the pressure and maybe you will make better decisions but maybe you won't. Right now all we can do is try to be understanding. Your Uncle is an old man born in an era where loving your children meant finding them a good match. He is trying his best but the world is beginning to move a little faster than he can keep up with and sometimes he is going to get things wrong. He had an arranged marriage and he was happy. Your Aunty was his best friend and he loved her dearly.'
I swallowed and nodded my head. 'She was a beautiful person.'
My mother gave me her gentle smile. 'You know, I love your father Seina. It's not impossible for things to work out is all I'm trying to say. Many people pick their own partners and end up suffering through long, messy divorces. At least this way if it doesn't work out you have someone else to blame.'
I allowed myself a small laugh and raised an eyebrow at my mother 'You and father are hardly a premium example. You cheated the system!' 'I simply made my preference for a particular suitor known using my baby making powers.' I shook my head at her in exasperation, despite my situation I did not see disobedience as something to be proud of. Plus I felt her methods were a little extreme and therefore not applicable to me.
'Uncle likes you because you're more intelligent than father so you make a better chess opponent and provide more interesting conversation.'
My mother laughed 'I know. It seems it has been my saving grace. For all your Uncle's faults he has always been supportive of my scholarly pursuits.' I smiled at her and lay down on my bed, she lay next to me and reached for my hand.
'Promise you won't let them pick someone awful Mum.'
'I'll do my best sweetie.'
My eyes felt heavy and I slowly allowed them to close. 'I love you Mum...'