Chapter Thirty Nine ~

Start from the beginning

I remained quiet and he noticed. "Oh? You don't want to fight back anymore? You're finally giving up?" He made a noise of amusement and gestured a nearby servant. "Go get the poison."

As the servant scurried off, the king viewed my sorry state. "You'll be stuck here in this chair until you finally keel over. I don't know how fast the poison will work, but surely it won't take long for it to work through that tiny body of yours." He leaned down and looked me in the eyes. "I believe this will be our final farewell. I hope you enjoyed living in my grand castle for a month. Your work was appreciated, but we don't need you anymore." He stood and began to walk off. "Say hi to your father for me when you see him!" And he walked out, just as the servant reentered with a platter that held a single cup.

My heart began to beat quicker as he handed the cup to a guard. He told them to be careful with it as he passed it along before leaving once more, probably never to return. The guard came up to me, cup shaking in his grasp. He looked at him with sorry eyes – it was the guard that helped me clean up.

"Do you, Queen Evangeline, have any final remarks before you are executed for breaking Desdemona's trust and breaking the alliance Aaliyah swore to have with Desdemona?"

I wanted to say that Aaliyah never swore to anything like that, but I just shook my head. "I have nothing left to say."

The guard should've forced my mouth open and made me take the poison concoction, but he hesitated. "Are you sure?" He was stalling.

Kim Namjoon, Min Yoongi, Kim Seokjin, Kim Taehyung, Park Jimin, Jeon Jungkook, Jung Hoseok: I'm sorry for not treating you better. You will be remembered as blessings.

"I am sure."

The guard's hand shook as he murmured something under his breath. He took a deep breath before motioning something to the nearest guard. I felt a hand on my jaw and I willingly opened my mouth. I was ready.

The guard from earlier approached me. "No one came," he murmured. Tears hung in the corners of his eyes as he looked at me. "I'm sorry, Your Highness." Don't be.

He blinked his tears away before he straightened up. "In the fourth month, the third day, and in the year one thousand eight hundred twenty-three in the year of our Lord marks the death of Evangeline of Aaliyah. May your spirit cross over with ease and your family be comforted at the news of your untimely death." He stepped closer and gripped the cup before inching it closer and closer to me. I could smell its bitter odor and the guard holding my mouth open urged his friend to hurry.

"I can't-"

BANG!

The hand left my jaw as the guard stumbled backward before falling to the floor. The one in front of me jumped back, the poison spilling onto his attire and the cup fell from his hands and rolled along on the floor. I gulped before the sound of crashing erupted behind me. I tried to look behind me as my heart began to beat quicker and quicker, but I couldn't see anything. I went to ask what it was, but the guard that had always watched me in my cell was speeding toward the exit. I started to panic, thinking something was terribly wrong, especially when he collapsed right after another gunshot rang out.

"Shit," I heard a familiar voice murmur as rapid footsteps approached me. Despite the voice being so soft, I imagined some god of death to approach me and finally take me for escaping his clutches too many times. But I soon saw none other than Jeon skid to a stop beside me before taking a small glade and cutting the ropes that bound me to the chair I was stuck in.

"J-J-Jeon," I stuttered. "Why are you-"

"We got to get her out," another voice said – Yoongi.