Chapter Twenty Four ~

(Evangeline's POV)

"This all looks so good," Marina awed as she observed the breakfast in front of her.

Chef Kim grinned. "I make the best for my queen."

I had started to get out of bed more as my illness slowly went away. I would come to the table for meals and walk around a bit before returning to my room to lay down once more. I had read through several books already since there was nothing else to do while I sat in my quarters. I had told Namjoon that I could start looking into my letters, but he told me to not worry about it – that he and Yoongi had it all taken care of.

"Your Highness, is breakfast always like this?" Marina asked as she began to dig into her hot meal. Chef Kim stopped her as she went eat. She jumped before looking at him, confused.

"You're eating with the wrong fork," he grinned, before handing her the correct one. "Eating in front of royalty calls for proper table etiquette."

She looked surprised. "Oh!" She took the correct fork and sat down the utensil she had been holding before she started to eat once more.

"Onto your question," I stated as I sat down my utensils, "what do you mean by 'like this'?"

"Not everyone is here," she answered, food spewing out of her mouth. Chef Kim chuckled.

"We also don't talk with our mouth full," he instructed. "You'll get it eventually."

"The others are working," I said, getting back on topic. "Lunch is the same. Dinner is the only meal that all eight of us are together."

Marina nodded as she continued to eat, and the rest of breakfast went splendidly. When we were finished, we went back to my room where I got back to reading a book and my new help went off to assist Butler Park.

"Are you thinking about letting her stay?" Hoseok asked me as I set my book aside.

I shrugged. "She's worthy and a great help, but I would rather not screw up her youth. She's only fifteen, Hoseok. She doesn't need to be so stressed at such a young age. I know how troubling it can be."

"It would beat working in a spice shop," he replied.

"That's her passion, though," I sighed, opening up my book once again. "That's the only thing she has to remind her of her family, really. I wouldn't want to take that away."

Hoseok nodded. "You're right."

***

I was about to finish my book when Jeon knocked on the door. "Your Highness," he said once I allowed him to enter, "a man has come to the palace with a request to speak with you."

My brow raised. "Where is he from?"

Jeon shrugged. "He didn't say and when I asked he dodged the question."

I sighed and sat up fully. "Hoseok, get Taehyung and tell him what's happening. Get the others down in the throne room as well. As for you Jeon, make sure our guest doesn't go anywhere and bring him to the throne room."

They both bowed. "Yes, Your Highness," they said in unison before leaving.

It wasn't long before Taehyung walked in, a dress in tow with a few other things. "Hopefully this guest will be polite and formal. They should know that the Queen is sick and not in the mood for visitors."

"Don't forget to write down everything afterwards, Taehyung," I said as I stood from my bed.

Taehyung nodded. "Yes, Your Majesty."

***

Arm linked with Taehyung's I walked into the throne room. I heard Taehyung scoff. "Don't give him any mercy. He's dressed in rags." I smirked before heading over to my throne and when I sat everyone bowed.

"You have been granted a meeting with Queen Evangeline of Aaliyah. What has brought you here?" I announced, face emotionless.

"It's an honor to be here, Your Highness," the guest said. His black hair was tossed and frizzy. His clothes were dirty and his skin obviously had mud on it. If you're going to present yourself in front of royalty, you should at least make an effort to clean up. "I am here to speak to you on behalf the people of Aaliyah."

"What is your name?" I asked.

"The people of Aaliyah have come to the conclusion that you are not carrying out your duties as the leader of our great kingdom," the man stated. His words sounded recited and practiced. Not to mention he ignored my question.

"I asked what your name was," I hissed.

"They have come to this conclusion because your servants are doing most of your work for you," the man continued.

I frowned. "I will not consider your requests if you do not answer me. I haven't even gave you permission to voice your concerns."

"Why does a name matter?" the man snipped.

"I asked for a name and that's what matters." I lost my breath at the last word and had a coughing fit. I noticed the man smirked.

"I don't have a name," the man answered.

"I heard you wouldn't answer this question when my guard asked it," I said, voice hoarse from coughing. "Where are you from?"

"What does that have to do with anything?" he questioned.

My blood was beginning to boil. "If you are going to behave like this in the presence of your Queen, I will not hesitate to have you removed."

"This is your problem!" the man yelled, taking a step towards me. Jeon drew his sword and pointed it at the male as he was getting to close to me. I heard Marina gasp, as she was with Chef Kim in the back. The man stepped back a bit. "You're going to have to do something yourself once in a while. You're going to have to figure out how it feels to be like me. How it feels to have a ruler than can't do anything herself."

His words caused me to stop. I took in what he said. Maybe I did need to start doing things on my own. My parents wouldn't want me to have people helping me all the time, would they? They would want me to do everything myself and not have to rely on other people. "I've heard you out."

The man grinned. "Good. I see we understand."

"But you need to leave."

"What if I'm not done?"

"The Queen has asked you to leave," Jeon growled.

"I just need to make sure that there will be some changes in the way she runs things," the man said as he walked forward. This time, both Jimin and Hoseok drew out daggers and they moved in front of me. Jeon moved his sword to the man's neck, stopping him in his tracks.

"I would advise you to do as the Queen says," Hoseok said calmly.

"Unless you don't value your life," Jimin giggled.

"Then I'll take my leave," the man said and he turned to leave.

"Jeon, see he makes it out of the gates," I instructed. My guard bowed and harshly grabbed the man's arm and dragged him out of the room.

"Are you okay?" Hoseok asked, looking back at me. Jimin followed and so did the others.

I stood. "I would like it if I could be left alone. I need to think some things over."

---

get ready for drama next chapter